Loose Kick lever

5 replies to this topic
  • antas11

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hi guys,

Very new to the dirt bike scene and bought myself a 1999 wr400.

Lovely bike and running well just a few maintenance bits to do before I get it out.

My only concern is that there’s a lot of wear on the rear brake lever/kick lever where they're rubbing together because the kick lever is very loose. Is there an easy fix to stop this? Or is it a new arm?

Many thanks!

• dgcars

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Sounds like a new kicker required. Check the splines when you pull it off. Make sure the shaft is free from any alloy debris or the new one won't last either. Torque it all up and use a little med strength loctite on the bolt.

• AmnWatkins

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:49 AM

Mine had a bit of play in it as well. I just picked up a new lever from the local MX store and replaced it. took five minutes. Keep the old lever on hand for those emergency issues. I know all too well that one little broken lever (clutch in my case) can cut a day way short.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • antas11

Posted January 06, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thanks guys! Will have to consider it.

• MaxPower

Posted January 09, 2012 - 08:47 AM

try this first
take the screw out and pull the lever from the knuckle
clean out all the crap. Take the little spring and ball out too. You can get a new spring at the Home Center. I bought an assortment package of them. Regrease everything,stick the spring and ball back in the little hole and push the kicker down over it. Becareful not to let the little ball shoot across the garage or even worse back at your face if it slips around your finger.
I have save many kickers just spending a few minutes on them. The added pressure of the new spring may work enough to keep the kicker in and from bouncing around.
If not I think I have a 426 and a 450 kicker in the garage somewhere

• ickfinger

Posted January 15, 2012 - 11:39 AM

+1 what max power said, however you can also hyper-extend your stock spring to get a little extra mileage out of it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.