Valve Guide Replacement??

4 replies to this topic
  • slow-poke

Posted January 04, 2012 - 10:20 AM

How hard is it to replace the Valve Guides on a YZ450F?
Are the Valve Guides pressed in?

Thanks,

• 2grimjim

Posted January 04, 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yes the valve guides are presed in. The head must first be heated to 300 degrees F and a piloted punch used to drive the guides out. The new guides can be chilled in liquid nitrogen or dry ice/acetone before installing to make installation easier. The guide bores (in the head) need to be measured first to see if oversize guides are necessary. There needs to be at least .001" interfearance fit for the guides to be properly retained.

After the new guides are pressed in, they need to be reamed or honed to the finished diameter for proper clearance with the valve stem.

This is a process best left to a competant machine shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:19 PM

After the new guides are pressed in, they need to be reamed or honed to the finished diameter for proper clearance with the valve stem....

After which the seats must be recut to ensure they are centered on the valve guides.

+1 on the machine shop.

Valve guides suffer very little wear in a YZF. Be sure you really need them.

• slow-poke

Posted January 06, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will take it to the machine shop. It my uncles bike I am working on, all three intake valves are bent so I think it would be best to replace the valve guides.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:41 PM

all three intake valves are bent so I think it would be best to replace the valve guides.

That answers the question :smirk:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.