2012 YZ450 front caliper

12 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:45 AM

So I got to ride my new 450 this past weekend and I love it in every way except the front brakes. I put a EBC 280mm rotor on it and there strong but not nearly as strong as my KX450. I have a Honda master cylinder and a SS line going on next. So is there another caliper that is stronger than what I have now? (Honda, Brembo). I really want the strongest brakes I can get, Im 230#'s 6'3" so I need the stopping power. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2grimjim

Posted January 04, 2012 - 07:04 AM

So I got to ride my new 450 this past weekend and I love it in every way except the front brakes. I put a EBC 280mm rotor on it and there strong but not nearly as strong as my KX450. I have a Honda master cylinder and a SS line going on next. So is there another caliper that is stronger than what I have now? (Honda, Brembo). I really want the strongest brakes I can get, Im 230#'s 6'3" so I need the stopping power. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Haven't done it myself, but I hear that the '07 and earlier caliper will fit on the '08+ caliper bracket.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:17 AM

See if you can find a set of pads from a CRF or KXF that will fit. CRF450 pads were the cheap fix for the '07 and earlier models.

• HRC

Posted January 04, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I put on the Braking Batfly 270mm rotor and got a big improvment.

• tech24

Posted January 04, 2012 - 01:50 PM

I put on the Braking Batfly 270mm rotor and got a big improvment.

what pads, stock?

• HRC

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:00 PM

what pads, stock?

I use Braking pads....same as those included in the Batfly-kit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:04 PM

I use Braking pads....same as those included in the Batfly-kit

oh gottcha didn't know it came with pads. Kinda getting tired of my front brake myself so looking at options.

• moto278

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:16 AM

i noticed honda's front brakes are a solid rotor, and my 10yami nd buddies 09 kawi are both front floating rotor. i rode a friends honda with a solid rotor, and it felt a bit stronger. recently my front rotor got twisted nd i decided to replace it with a cheap solid rotor from tusk at rockymountainmc. rode a few times on it seems to be a slight improvement. is there actually one thats better than the other?

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Floating vs. solid makes no difference in feel or power. Floating rotors don't tend to distort as much when heated.

OEM rotors are stainless steel to keep them from rusting. Some of the aftermarket stuff like the Braking line up are carbon steel. Carbon steel usually generates more friction against most brake pads, so the brakes feel stronger.

The Honda you rode probably felt stronger because of the Honda pads and the slightly smaller master cylinder bore.

• rr558

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I just put and 09 whole Honda system on my 11 yam. and its way better . I do have Braking pads as well . I think the 07 Honda system seems a little stronger than 09 but maybe its bled a little better.

• Thumper38

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:51 AM

So an 07 Crf caliper will fit a 12 YZ? I am ready to purchase one.

• Thumper38

Posted January 05, 2012 - 12:08 PM

I found a 2012 Honda CRF front caliper. Does anyone know if this will fit a 2012 YZ450?

• rr558

Posted January 06, 2012 - 02:03 PM

It should I know my 09 Honda bolted right up to my 11

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.