Electrical problem 05 450f

9 replies to this topic
  • koti0025

Posted January 03, 2012 - 02:24 AM

I have a 05 450f that has been wrecking stators. I have checked all grounds and there all good. Any body heard of this problem with this bike???

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2012 - 07:29 AM

Wrecking them how? Is the electrical system stock or modified? OEM or aftermarket stators?

• koti0025

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Wrecking them how? Is the electrical system stock or modified? OEM or aftermarket stators?

System is stock, but aftermarket stator. I put a new one in and bike starts right up. Runs fine, and then after few hours it starts harder and harder until you have to pull start it. It then misses and backfires. I diagnose it according to how repair manual says with a OHM meter, always coming back to the stator. I would try OEM one, but don't feel like wasting $300 if something else is causing it.

• rubbersdown

Posted January 05, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Get a low hour used oem one on ebay. You can get a nice clean one from a running bike for like $75.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:30 AM

Aftermarket stators for the '03-'05 bikes that are rewound for lights are absolutely notorious for their lack of reliability.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bonehead7101

Posted January 06, 2012 - 11:37 PM

How many stators have you been through? Have you checked the wiring beyond the stator to see if its grounded shorted anywhere? Maybe coil issue. And what portion of the stator ass't is going out the ac windings or the pickup windings?

• 2grimjim

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Aftermarket stators for the '03-'05 bikes that are rewound for lights are absolutely notorious for their lack of reliability.

I've been using two Moose stators for the last six years on two different bikes. You are right, they aren't quite the quality as the OEM piece, but neither of them has failed. The older of the two was made 10 years ago and is a better qualty piece.

I haven't seen a new one in a few years, maybe they have gone way downhill in quality.

I think the biggest problem is with the lighting coil and how the lighting circuit is being wired by the owners. On both of mine, I run a floating ground to a full wave bridge rectifier/regulator (like Trail Techs), a capacitor, and a 10 amp fuse.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well, you've been lucky, I guess. I know another guy who's been through at least 4 stators of two brands on his street legal YZ450 SM. He was running battery lighting last I saw.

• 2grimjim

Posted January 08, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well, you've been lucky, I guess. I know another guy who's been through at least 4 stators of two brands on his street legal YZ450 SM. He was running battery lighting last I saw.

Is he burning up the lighting coil, the charge coil (CDI), or the pickup coil?

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Is he burning up the lighting coil, the charge coil (CDI), or the pickup coil?

Either the lights or the ignition, not the trigger.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.