2012 YZ450 Speeding Bullet

26 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2012 - 11:20 AM

And I was asking why so that the question could be more specifically answered with some degree of accuracy, as opposed to speculating about his needs or experience. Certainly you've seen guys off-road or on a track who think they're going 70 or so when they're doing 45 or 50, and who then want to go 100 so they can keep up with their buddies who are actually going 60, haven't you. That doesn't apply here, but you don't know without asking, do you?

The best solution to the 100 MPH question varies considerably with the reason, real or imaginary, for the need. The right answer on a desert racer will be different for a Baja racer, or an SM bike, or a road racer, or a recreational off-roader, so "why" is a very pertinent question, in spite of what anyone wants to read into it.

• icufo

Posted January 03, 2012 - 01:53 PM

At the last conversation we had about the new engine, I think Ron and TUF Racing had a Gen3 450 up to 63 rwhp in flat track trim, but it's been a while, and he may have improved on that. He usually does.

greyracer: i think that might have been the brand new bike that had a complete Ron Hamp top end that exploded on the first lap at the Springfield mile thought some one said they thought that beings it was brand new the bottom end would be good enough it was pure luck that nobody got killed you see these 450's are so close like a pack of bees one mistake and it wont be a pretty site at 115mph you have to achieve reliability first thats why i was not wanting to get to carried away.

And for my experience on speed yes i know 100mph have you ever beaten one of the Haydens bros I have.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2012 - 02:18 PM

greyracer: i think that might have been the brand new bike that had a complete Ron Hamp top end that exploded on the first lap at the Springfield mile thought some one said they thought that beings it was brand new the bottom end would be good enough

So, they spent what, probably almost $3k on the engine and didn't go through the lower end? :smirk: That don't seem wise to me.

...these 450's are so close like a pack of bees

I've been in those packs, back in the day when engines coming apart were a much more normal occurrence. In fact, that's one of the problems I have with all the contact that's considered normal in MX. We had the idea that a good rider was one who could drop into a turn 6" away from someone and never touch them.

have you ever beaten one of the Haydens bros I have.

No, can't say I have. I think he was born after I quit dirt racing the first time. I used to beat Don Emde pretty regularly, though. 'Ever make the B main at the Santa Rosa Mile?

I don't doubt your experience, but like I said, you can either ask about it or guess

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • icufo

Posted January 03, 2012 - 07:16 PM

so, they spent what, probably almost $3k on the engine and didn't go through the lower end? :smirk: That don't seem wise to me. I've been in those packs, back in the day when engines coming apart were a much more normal occurrence. In fact, that's one of the problems i have with all the contact that's considered normal in mx. We had the idea that a good rider was one who could drop into a turn 6" away from someone and never touch them.

No, can't say i have. I think he was born after i quit dirt racing the first time. I used to beat don emde pretty regularly, though. 'ever make the b main at the santa rosa mile?

I don't doubt your experience, but like i said, you can either ask about it or guess

hey thanks really, pretty cool you were from the golden era that kicks !

• MergYZ450

Posted April 10, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Wow you all are much more knowledgable on this so I have a question. I'm not racing but I do want the most out of my 2011 YZ450. I have FMF mega bomb header w/ FMF 4.1 slip on. I just ordered the GYTR Power Tuner and was wondering if you could suggest a couple of maps to try. Bike is stock other than exhaust, looking for a bit more on the top end, just seems to rev out too soon IMO.

Appreciate any suggestions

• VetRacer75

Posted April 11, 2012 - 02:16 AM

Try the jay marmont map it seems to work really well through the range and give it a bit more top end

• MergYZ450

Posted April 13, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Chris will give it a shot

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.