Clutch Recommendations

1 reply to this topic
  • J_T

Posted October 01, 2003 - 03:08 PM

Hello all,

I am going to put in a new clutch and I'm looking for ya'lls experienced direction into where to buy, what brands work best, and any other tips you feel like passing on. Also I was looking in the service manual and under clutch disassembly it talks about removing basket and all. Is there a reason why I’d want to disassemble it down that far and not just the spring and plates?

I'm thinking;

a) New clutch plates

:) New, stiffer clutch springs

c) The extra plain clutch disc in the base of the basket as mentioned in SRC's tech bulletin ( http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-02.html ) Will I have one available from my plates I'm replacing?

d) If I have the extra cash at the time of purchase I'd also like SRC's Hydraulic clutch ( http://secure.srcinc...t_Selected=2201 ) I rode with a fellow with a KTM that had one and it was extremely easy to pull and simple, It'd make my woods riding and clutching much easier on my forearm!

The autoclutches sound nice but I don’t think I am going to go that route just yet.

I look forward to reading ya'lls comments. Thank you

JT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted October 01, 2003 - 05:33 PM

I don't have much experience with the different brands, but I'd probably be looking at OEM plates from a discount Honda dealer such as Service Honda (www.servicehonda.com) or Ron Ayers Honda (www.ronayers.com) if it were my bike. I'd probably also look at Barnett Clutches as well at (www.barnettclutches.com) as I've had good luck with their stuff in the past on my other bikes.

I don't recall any reason to remove the clutch assembly to install new friciton discs & drive plates, but once you get the main nut off, the whole clutch pack comes right off if you want it to and its a fairly straight forward process. If you have a 2000 or 2001 XR650R, then consider updating the clutch bushing with the new style that was introduced in 2002 and get a new clutch lock nut as well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.