yz450f Radiator flush cleaner / guards

8 replies to this topic
  • bdeemo

Posted January 01, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hey, I just put some prestone radiator cleaner in my radiator. Says its fine for aluminum radiators but I was wondering if it would be safe to use for a little while because you're supposed to run it through the radiator for 3-6 hours(in a car im guessing) on and off use is OK it says. Just wondering if it would likely overheat.

Also, which coolant to use???

Also, are the radiator guards worth buying???

• eflyguy

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:37 AM

I use a mix of distilled water and white vinegar to flush mine. Start it up to run it through for a minute, drain, repeat if you bought the big bottles and it came out nasty - :smirk: then flush out with just distilled water again. Then add the coolant/water mix. I'm using the orange Prestone Dex Cool because it's what I use in my street bikes with alu motors..

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2012 - 01:55 PM

As long as it's not the original GM Dex-Cool or otherwise contains no 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid). That was one of inhibitors used in the original orange stuff. it worked well with hard water but is a plasticizer that can cause gasket failure. Most "Dex-Cool" replacements have removed it, but it's worth checking. The big problem was that it would turn bad if exposed to air while hot, so it had to be used only with coolant recovery systems, and not allowed to run low or with any air in the radiators.

• eflyguy

Posted January 03, 2012 - 03:36 PM

It's whatever they sell at WalMart today - third one down on this page - http://www.prestone....nt/product_list :smirk: I'll take a look at the bottle..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bdeemo

Posted January 04, 2012 - 02:48 PM

Ok well I checked with some guys and they said that flush stuff I got is fine...

Also picked up some engine ice, how do you guys like that? anyone tried it?

• eflyguy

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've only used it for track days, but it is supposed to do what they claim..

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Engine Ice is a good product, if not a little overpriced. It's basically a premium grade propylene glycol coolant premixed 50/50 with distilled water, so you could make your own more cheaply, but it works and works well.

• Mutley53

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:37 PM

As far a radiator guards go, I would recommend Scorpion Racing (out of Canada) ones. The Worcs Connection ones I used seem worthless. My radiators were bent like crazy with them with only small/normal wrecks. I had Mylers straighten them, then put Scorpion ones on and haven't had any problems since. They may weigh a little more, but it is weight worth having as opposed to the Worcs Connections ones that add a little weight but do nothing to prevent damage.

• eflyguy

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:46 AM

oops. I was thinking of water wetter..

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.