scotts oil filter

14 replies to this topic
  • mor

Posted July 31, 2001 - 04:30 AM

did anyone tried the stainless steal washable oil filter? does it worth the 65$?

• Chris_Slade

Posted July 31, 2001 - 06:04 AM

I have them in my KTM520. For the KTM, they are worth it, in my opinion, since I have two filters to replace. Gets mighty expensive, mighty quick. I have had no problems yet, and I hope I never do. Think about it this way too, if you were going to change your filter, say, after every two oil changes, now you can CLEAN it after EVERY oil change....hmm, soudns like you're getting a new filter for free if you want!

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• mor

Posted July 31, 2001 - 06:17 AM

where can i order it from the net?

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 31, 2001 - 07:04 AM

I'm not so sure it's worth $65, at least not to me. The stock filter for the 426 is wire screen and is washable/reuseable. Unless the scotts filters better and has more surface area so as not to restrict the flow then I can't see it being worth the extra change. You can get a pile of stock filters for $65.

• dirtdad

Posted July 31, 2001 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, a pile of about 5 or 6 depending on where you get them. The SS filter claims to filter better and has an endless re-use capability. I have one. It's much sturdier than the stocker. Worth the $$ IMO.

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 01, 2001 - 02:42 AM

mor, www.scottsperformance.com

:)

there are other SS filters...but I guess I'd trust Scotts the most....good name, ya know? And I can't say I'm willing to risk my engine on two lesser named oil filters....
THe stock 426 filter is not a wire screen like this. The stock 426 filter is paper with the typical wire gate around it, just like could be expected. These are PURE Stainless Steel. The filtering median is nothing more than SS woven very fine.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited 08-01-2001).]

• dirtdad

Posted August 01, 2001 - 02:50 AM

Chris, the SS filter sold by Scott's is actually made by K&P Engineering. I don't know of any other manufacturer. Stroker sells them too, but I think they're the same product. I purchased mine through Scott's as you did. Great product.

------------------
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 01, 2001 - 03:28 AM

I have one for my 426. Is it worth the $? Probably not. The stock filters for 10 bucks or less work just as fine & can be reused many many times. The Stainless is very well constructed except for the rubber grommet that comes off over time from the heat. If you decide to purchase the stainless, wait until the 3rd to 4th oil change from new to get all the metal burrs out, otherwise it will be filled up & ruined.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 01, 2001 - 04:05 AM

>Chris Slade said:
>THe stock 426 filter is not a wire screen
>like this. The stock 426 filter is paper with
>the typical wire gate around it, just like
>could be expected. These are PURE Stainless
>Steel. The filtering median is nothing more
>than SS woven very fine.

Chris, I don't know where you get your stock filters, but the 2 that I got from the dealer plus the one that was in the bike already were all wire only. No paper in sight. Did you get yours from the dealer?

• RetSenior

Posted August 01, 2001 - 01:16 PM

I use the K&P Engineering Stainless Steel Reusable Micronic Oil Filters on my 520 and TSI Performance sell's them the cheapest I have found although I bought mine from Scotts before I found out about TSI.
http://www.tsiperfor...engineering.htm

------------------
AMA, Dist.36, BRC Lifetime Memberships

• holeshot

Posted August 02, 2001 - 10:23 AM

Chris:

The stock YZF filter is a wire screen type (but not stainless)

------------------
Holeshot's Page

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 02, 2001 - 10:47 AM

Hu, well, I guess my dad's filters are unusual then...his are partial paper.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member

• timmorg

Posted August 02, 2001 - 11:25 AM

Is it normal for the oil filter to be clogged with metal shavings every time you change the oil. If so where do all these shavings come from-I'm starting to wonder.

Joe

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 02, 2001 - 01:28 PM

Chris,

Find out where your dad has been getting his filters. Maybe he should double check that he's getting YZ filters and not a filter for some other bike which just happens to fit.

• Chris_Slade

Posted August 02, 2001 - 02:19 PM

Nah, they are from the Yamadog dealer. Mabey just a cheaper version? He ordered the SS scotts filter, gonna put it in when we get to California. I had to be the guinea pig though :)

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250
AMA Dist 6 Member

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.