1985 cr500 cdi unit

2 replies to this topic
  • eladracing

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:02 AM

hey cr fans.
Does anyone know if the CDI unit of cr125 or 250 is also suitable for 500?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gixxerbob

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:09 PM

i rewired a late 80's cr125 and another late 80's cr250 ignition to my 1985 cr500 motor. both looked identical with the same wire placement and color codes. i used the magneto diaghram from a 1984/85 cr250/500 and the cdi diaghram from 1986-87 cr250/500 in the clymer book. i assume my motor came with a cr500 magneto/flywheel since all the wires were correct according to my clymer manual. as long as you wire it correct i dont see why it wouldnt work, the ignition maps are different and it might have a different redline but it will fire and run.

you may have to wire the blue wire comming out of the cdi box to the white wire as they are both stator pickups to achieve higher rpm's. i forget if i did that or not.

fyi ** the clymer diaghram for the cdi part said that b/y (a black wire with yellow stripe) was y/b (a yellow wire with black stripe)..... i feel it was incorrect and opposite

im going to upgrade to a newer 2002+ ignition set up soon since its reasonably priced and a nice upgrade.

Edited by gixxerbob, December 30, 2011 - 09:39 AM.

• eladracing

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:56 AM

I installed a 96 cr125 cdi and it did spark.
Thank you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Restoration CR125 2003 - From Chile by McGrau

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

yz85 vs cr125 power. by vertox

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 21 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250R Problem by BradyB

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.