Best year kx450f overall!

12 replies to this topic
  • kx450fshanekm

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Im looking to get a new bike in January, Im stuck between a KX450F and a CRF450R, Ive owned the 06 kx450F, I loved the bike, but it had no pwer compared to a 03CRF 450, Are the 07 and up models differnet, I really didnt lkike the 4 speed tanny either, Im thinkin thats the only 4 spd model. Ive found a nice 07 a buddy of mine has for $3000, Ive seen a few newer one though, 3k and less! ANy advice, Im 6'4 and 190lbs if that helps. Thanks@

• KXFGREG

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:37 AM

I had a new 2004 CRF450R. It was my first 4 stroke and I loved the motor, both the amount and the broad spread of power. Then I got my '07 KX450F and could not believe how much more powerful the KAWI was. I never went back to riding the CRF because the power of the KX was alot more fun for me. I don't think I'll ever get rid of my '07 KX unless its to get a '12 KX.

• stlavsa

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:10 AM

07 kawi is wayyy more powerful than an 03 crf450

• nickeenoo

Posted December 30, 2011 - 11:59 AM

I believe from a statistical standpoint the 07 KX450 is a couple HP more than the 03 CRF450. So, yes it is more powerful, if only slightly. A lot of things can factor into how powerful a bike feels. Did you have good traction when riding, how good were the tires, how fresh is the motor, what was the gearing? All these play into how "fast" a bike is.

A lot of time a guy will get on a newer bike and it will be faster because the old bike is clapped out. Not really a fair comparison. Also, gearing has a HUGE impact on acceleration. If the CRF was geared for desert and the KX for the track, the KX will probably feel 10 times faster. Does this mean it actually is? No.

So, if I were to choose between the bikes, I would get the KX simply because it's newer. An 03 450 is getting the be pretty old by dirt bike standards.

Nate

• kx450fshanekm

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yea , im going to check out a 07 kx tonight for $3k, Ive found a few 08s for that price and a 09 for $3200. 08 better, or 09? iTS F?I or are all of them? Wha about the newer model CRFS like 06-08? Thanks

• MrPower

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:34 PM

i got the 12 kx 450, its byfar the best year kx overall!!!!!, just to answer your question lol Can you emagine a mean ass powerfull as hell 450 thats as slim and flickable feeling as a 250 2 stroke, well its not a dream, its called the 2012 kx 450! lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • numroe

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:13 PM

Yep, then 2012 is the best bike! Every top pro interview I've read or heard says words to the effect of ... there is the old KX450F and this is the new one.

I've not ridden one, but I doubt I'd ever say the 2012 feels light like a 2 stroke. :bonk: All 450s feel like big gyros in the air, and they like to carve arcs at steady chassis lean angles when on the ground. The new CRF450R is the most nimble - IMO.

2006 to 11: The major differences were: 06 = lightest frame and engine and 4 speed. 08 = much improved forks. 09 = EFI, 23mm triples, and better stock shock. You can change the linkage, suspension and setup on any model to make them feel pretty much the same.

Ive owned the 06 kx450F, I loved the bike, but it had no pwer compared to a 03CRF 450

There had to be something wrong with your 06. I've got one, and I've ridden the 08, 09 and 10. Out of those the 2010 and 2006 are similar. 08 is mellow. 09 is missing bottom end torque. I mostly ride my 06 with the power tuned way down via a Vortex ignition and a quieter muffler, and I'm faster on my best lap with it that way. But I'm 165 lbs. Recently I put on a 9oz flywheel weight, so it spins up almost as slow as the 08 or EFI models, and I should have done it years ago, since the rear tire now hooks up way better.

• stlavsa

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:16 PM

I believe from a statistical standpoint the 07 KX450 is a couple HP more than the 03 CRF450. So, yes it is more powerful, if only slightly. A lot of things can factor into how powerful a bike feels. Did you have good traction when riding, how good were the tires, how fresh is the motor, what was the gearing? All these play into how "fast" a bike is.

A lot of time a guy will get on a newer bike and it will be faster because the old bike is clapped out. Not really a fair comparison. Also, gearing has a HUGE impact on acceleration. If the CRF was geared for desert and the KX for the track, the KX will probably feel 10 times faster. Does this mean it actually is? No.

So, if I were to choose between the bikes, I would get the KX simply because it's newer. An 03 450 is getting the be pretty old by dirt bike standards.

Nate

peak may have only been a few HP but overall the 07 kawi feels like a monster comparatively..

• nickeenoo

Posted December 30, 2011 - 11:41 PM

peak may have only been a few HP but overall the 07 kawi feels like a monster comparatively..

Not to be cranky, but go back and re-read my post. There is a lot more to how a bike feels than just horsepower. Were both bikes fresh when you compared them? What was the gearing on both? Flywheel weight? Traction/tires? Either bike can be made to feel like a "monster" depending on how you set it up.

At any rate, I would be very hesitant to buy an almost 10 year old 450. I would have to know a lot about how the bike was taken care of regardless of what the power felt like.

• stlavsa

Posted December 31, 2011 - 01:11 PM

Not to be cranky, but go back and re-read my post. There is a lot more to how a bike feels than just horsepower. Were both bikes fresh when you compared them? What was the gearing on both? Flywheel weight? Traction/tires? Either bike can be made to feel like a "monster" depending on how you set it up.

At any rate, I would be very hesitant to buy an almost 10 year old 450. I would have to know a lot about how the bike was taken care of regardless of what the power felt like.

I completely agree with you..

Im purely referring to completely stock bikes all new.. 4 to 5 whp difference peak (depending on whose dyno youre using) both bikes had good low end power, kawi had more "hit".

• nickeenoo

Posted January 01, 2012 - 12:40 PM

Fair enough on stock to stock.

Just as an observation, I just bought an 07 with a 48 tooth rear on it. I changed it back to the stock 50 and it made a huge difference in the bike. There is way more snap everywhere and I can ride a gear higher into almost all turns. In a strange way, it made the bike easier to ride because I can run a gear higher and I don't have to shift as much.

• wes513v

Posted January 03, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Im looking to get a new bike in January, Im stuck between a KX450F and a CRF450R, Ive owned the 06 kx450F, I loved the bike, but it had no pwer compared to a 03CRF 450, Are the 07 and up models differnet, I really didnt lkike the 4 speed tanny either, Im thinkin thats the only 4 spd model. Ive found a nice 07 a buddy of mine has for $3000, Ive seen a few newer one though, 3k and less! ANy advice, Im 6'4 and 190lbs if that helps. Thanks@

If you don't like the 4 speed tranny, then don't spend your money on any KX older than 09. The first 4 speeds are similar with a 5th speed tacked on top. The 06 Kawi is more powerful than the 03 Honda you were comparing, as well as the next couple year KXs. Why not just spring for a rebuild and enjoy the bike you have? At least then you know the condition of the motor and you already have everything set up for yourself. Just a thought.

• JMX3358

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Fair enough on stock to stock.

Just as an observation, I just bought an 07 with a 48 tooth rear on it. I changed it back to the stock 50 and it made a huge difference in the bike. There is way more snap everywhere and I can ride a gear higher into almost all turns. In a strange way, it made the bike easier to ride because I can run a gear higher and I don't have to shift as much.

Experienced the same thing regarding the sprocket didn't like the 48 tooth went back to what it came with. I'm keeping mine and still riding it. At the time it was purchased I was also considering Honda and have not regretted the final decision. Checked valve adjustment no movement after all this time riding.

Can't bring myself to buy used, I'd do what it takes to get a 12 unless your good at wrenching.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Got a new bike by 06kx450_savy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Showa TAC 2015 KX450f by Kawirider37

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Kawasaki KX450F vs Honda CRF450R by mxriderscrf

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.