to lube or not lube?

3 replies to this topic
  • tomtom1

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi All This maybe a daft question,but iv'e just fit new renthal front and back sprockets, with a new did race chain for my wr450 2003 and it's all nice and clean and lubed from new now
but should i lube it before my first ride out as the sprockets are dry also whats the deal with cleaning them i get in some pretty muddy stuff so i steam the bike off every ride (avoiding bearings electrics etc) whats best way of cleaning the thick mud off? iv'e done a search but couldnt find anything about lubeing a new chain sprocket set thanks for any advice

• MANIAC998

Posted December 29, 2011 - 03:36 AM

Everyone has there own method of cleaning/lubing a chain. A soft nylon bristeled(?) brush and gently scrubbed by hand is how I clean mine. Then I fire up the bike while it's on the bike stand, place the bike in gear, and let the rear wheel spin for a couple minutes. This helps warm up the chain and dry it out. Then before I shut it down, I'll spray it with something light like WD40. Of course, this is with an O-ring chain, as that's all I'll run. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrwest

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:52 AM

Only use wd 40 on your chain if you ride offroad .

Using oil or chain lube only makes the grit pack on your chain and makes a grinding paste.

This is for o ring and x ring chains only.

• YamaLink

Posted December 30, 2011 - 06:31 AM

If the factory packaging gunk is super thick I'll clean all of it off. Otherwise a brand new bike or chain/sprocket combo is just begging to be ridden so a little chain lube does the trick. I prefer to oil a chain after riding when the metal is warm.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.