bottom steering stem bearing

5 replies to this topic
  • 95kawi

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:25 AM

i want to do the bottom steering stem bearing on my 08 yz450 do u just press the rod out of the triple clamp by just pressing on the top it seems like it would mushroom the end let me know please. had to type this fast if it doesnt make sense sorry

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:32 AM

Protect the threads on top of the stem by screwing the crown nut in place.

• 95kawi

Posted December 28, 2011 - 02:09 PM

Cool thanks I got it done

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 95kawi

Posted December 28, 2011 - 02:40 PM

Is the steering stem but really 105 ft lbs?

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2011 - 03:29 PM

Yes it is. Be careful that the socket fits correctly and that the threads are clean; the nut's aluminum.

you can guess at the 5 ft/lb for the lower nut and get away with it if you're willing to make corrections. The bearings should feel free, but have no play in them. Then about a tenth turn tighter.

Put the top clamp on, but leave the fork tube pinch bolts loose. Once you tighten the crown nut to 100-105 and clamp the forks, you should be just able to have the forks stay in any position you turn it to with the wheel on, sitting on a stand. Then ride it for a few minutes and check that it stays tight. Then an hour.

If it loosens up at any point, or feels loose or tight to start with, loosen the top clamp pinch bolts, loosen the crown nut, and rotate the bearing ring nut the appropriate direction with a punch. One sixth turn makes a considerable difference, BTW, so take things in steps.

• 95kawi

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the help I tightened the nut finger tight then hit it alittle it feels really good so hopefully it's good lol

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.