Which is the top piston ring?

12 replies to this topic
  • Gibbit

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:16 AM

Long time lurker, first post!

Just doing a rebuild on a 2011 YZ450F and am about to put the rings that came in the spares kit on a new oem piston.

Which is the top ring and which is the second?

1. Black and chrome in colour.

2. Grey in colour with a chamfer on its outer edge.

Cheers.

• Gibbit

Posted December 27, 2011 - 02:18 AM

I have put them in, in the order that I decribed them. Ill see what happens. The top one also has the smallest ring gap which I think is right.

• Gunner354

Posted December 27, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I have put them in, in the order that I decribed them. Ill see what happens. The top one also has the smallest ring gap which I think is right.

Are you kidding? Guessing on which ring goes where? Good luck! This is why I don't buy used bikes!

• Wiz636

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:21 AM

They should be of different thicknesses...check the ring grooves on the piston and compare to the thickness of the rings.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:34 AM

If they fit, they're in the right place. One is wider than the other, and they can't be switched. That's why they come with no identifying marks as to which one is which.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:31 AM

If there are any marks on the rings, they face up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:48 AM

That's one of the very few things that IS in the instruction sheets (most of them), but it's worth mentioning.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:58 AM

That's one of the very few things that IS in the instruction sheets (most of them), but it's worth mentioning.

My pop learned me a long time ago; men don't read instructions.

• Gibbit

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies fellers.

Are you kidding? Guessing on which ring goes where? Good luck! This is why I don't buy used bikes!

I brought the bike new last year. I've put 120 hrs on it so I figure it's time for a freshen up.

I am replacing valves, valve cotters, valve stem seals, valve springs, piston, rings, piston pin, cam chain and cam chain adjuster. All OEM parts.

If they fit, they're in the right place. One is wider than the other, and they can't be switched. That's why they come with no identifying marks as to which one is which.

I tried that but both rings fit in both grooves.
The manual says the ring gaps specs are:
Top ring = 0.20-0.30mm
2nd ring = 0.35-0.50
I stuck the rings in the cylinder and they answered my question.

Yep...... there was a 'T' on them. :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2011 - 02:42 PM

... both rings fit in both grooves.

That's changed since the '08, then.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:31 PM

That's changed since the '08, then.

Yup. '10 and later YZ's use a 1.2, 1.2, and 2mm ring set on some aftermaret pistons.

Generally, the top ring is plated on the ring face (chrome, for NiSC composite and Iron bores), and the 2nd ring is usually un-plated but will somtimes have a deposit of Moly in a thin groove in the center of the ring face.

• crf450319

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:38 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing....:bonk:

• Gibbit

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:48 PM

Yup. '10 and later YZ's use a 1.2, 1.2, and 2mm ring set on some aftermaret pistons.

Generally, the top ring is plated on the ring face (chrome, for NiSC composite and Iron bores), and the 2nd ring is usually un-plated but will somtimes have a deposit of Moly in a thin groove in the center of the ring face.

I have put them in the right way then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.