starter clutch drive gear touches balancer weight??

6 replies to this topic
  • pwallnuts08

Posted December 23, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Guys im trying to reinstall my starter clutch rotor and the manual says to first slide on the drive gear... but what worries me is that the drive gear slides all the way back far enough to touch the balancer weight....? There's no spacer or anything and i just dont remember it being back far enough to touch the weight, have u seen this? Will the rotor pull it into the back of it on its own? :bonk:

• William1

Posted December 23, 2011 - 03:55 PM

No idea. Perhaps if you told us the make/model/year, someone might tell you more than a wild guess.

• pwallnuts08

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:04 PM

Sorry, its an 07 wr 450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zibbit u2

Posted December 23, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Have you installed the two syncronizing gears on the other side of the case yet? If not, the balance shaft won't fully seat. Also, I believe there is a step on the crankshaft which makes the starter gear sit further out.

• pwallnuts08

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yes i've also aligned the two gears on the pin in the crankcase to the rite but they dont really seem to help the position of the clutch gear, and the crankshaft doesnt have any step to keep the gear off of the balancer, it is a new crankshaft (wiseco), there didnt seem to be any difference between this one n the stock one though.

• pwallnuts08

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:57 PM

When u guys have installed these in the past do u remember the gear being bottomed out against something before hitting the balancer? I dont get it, i'm 99% sure i didnt misplace any spacers or anything.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Have you removed/replaced the two bolts that secure the bottom of the cam chain buffer? These two special bolts (5TJ-12299-00-00) have an elongated head that keeps the starter ring from backing into the balancer shaft.

It's item 11 in the pic. Only shows 1, but there are 2 used.

Posted Image

Edited by 2grimjim, December 24, 2011 - 03:38 PM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.