9 replies to this topic
  • yz426fX2

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys so i have two yz 426fs and they both have the same problem.....they will start right up with the choke out but literally the second its pushed in they die....all the jets in the carb are clear so im kind of stuck....ANY imput would ge great

• yz426fX2

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:09 PM

And my float is set correctly as well i forgot to mention

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:54 PM

It sounds like the idle circuit is lean or blocked. I know you said the jets were clear, but a pilot that looks clear can be 40% or more obstructed by a varnish deposit you can barely detect.

Read: http://www.thumperta...726#post8021726

Also check the hot start plunger to make sure it closes, make sure there's on O-ring on the pilot screw, and check the vacuum release plate on the engine side of the slide. It's a common mistake to assemble them upside down (the square edge goes down, not the half round one), and they will crack or chip due to wear and cause all kinds of trouble.

• yz426fX2

Posted December 23, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Where does the o ring on the pilot screw go?

• frankie_b_jr

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:42 PM

The order coming out should be... screw, spring, washer, o-ring. The o-ring might hang in the carb when taken apart then fall out as it relaxes. Two days of cussing before i figured mine out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oakasrtheshiz

Posted December 25, 2011 - 03:37 PM

i had the same issue on my 01 426. i changed the pilot jet from the stock 42, to a 45. the bike has a fmf power bomb header & fmf power core muffler and no lid on the airbox. the main jet is 68 and the fuel screw is set a 2 1/4. jet's are about $4 a piece, i see no reason to even think about drilling out a jet

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2011 - 06:04 PM

No one is suggesting drilling a jet.

• oakasrtheshiz

Posted December 25, 2011 - 06:45 PM

i must have misunderstood that link then. i apologize

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2011 - 09:43 PM

What I said was to use a drill as near to, but no larger than, the jet size to clear a varnish deposit, holding the drill itself in your fingers, preferably. In fact, I usually recommend pushing the shank of the drill through, rather than the cutting end.

• Brit7732

Posted December 28, 2011 - 12:44 PM

Had almost the same issue on my 02 426, would start on choke fine then would barely run with the choke off, had to keep the idle high to prevent it from shutting off.
When trying to rev it or ride it, backfired real bad. Cleaned the carb and jets thoroughly, twice, no change.
Turned out to be a bad CDI unit, as soon as the RPM's increased the timing went all to hell.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.