is the WR450F really just a trail bike?

32 replies to this topic
  • 2grimjim

Posted December 25, 2011 - 10:22 AM

You can race it.But there are better choices. Too fat.

That depends on what type of racing you're planning on doing. If you plan on doing desert or supermoto on a track with long straights and tight corners, it's better to start with a WR and strip off some weight than a YZ and having to buy new tranny parts and split the cases (an option that's not even possible with a '10+ YZ).

Or, you can go to a KTM EXC or XCW, but they weigh the same as the WR and cost more.

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 25, 2011 - 11:37 AM

is the WR450F really just a trail bike?

IMHO, out of the crate, yes.

Spend a few bucks on re-valving the suspension (and re-springing if you're a heavy rider), open the exhaust up, re-jet and it becomes a competitive 4 stroke racer.

I can honestly say that if I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't buy a new dirtbike. I love my '08 WR450F. Its the perfect trailbike for me.

Greg

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 25, 2011 - 11:40 AM

I can honestly say that if I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't buy a new dirtbike.

Interesting.

I know if I won the idiot tax I'd buy every dirtbike that's on my lust list....twice. :bonk:

• 2grimjim

Posted December 25, 2011 - 11:56 AM

Interesting.

I know if I won the idiot tax I'd buy every dirtbike that's on my lust list....twice. :bonk:

And new wheels, and new exhausts, and, and, and.........

Oh yeah, I could spend it ALL on motorcycles, and maybe some tools!

• Bandit9

Posted December 25, 2011 - 07:38 PM

It also depends on how serious you are about racing. If you are points chasing, then there are better tools for the job, unless Dakar/Baja type racing.

However you are just interested in riding a few Enduros or Hare Scrambles every year just for the thrills, then the WR450 makes a great do it all bike.

You could turn it into a decent race bike, but it would take time and a lot of money for weight loss. In the end, there are simply better tools for the job. Just buy the race bike Yamaha already builds, YZ450F or YZ250 smoker.

• OZ DRZ

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:22 AM

i've kind of moved away from the racing side and made it a semi-adventure bike. geared it up, cush drive hub, repadded seat, extra one liter oil capacity, rekluse auto clutch. its no 990 adventurer in terms of sitting at highway speeds for hours, but been very impressed with the flexibility and reliability of the WR....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:52 AM

That depends on what type of racing you're planning on doing. If you plan on doing desert or supermoto on a track with long straights and tight corners, it's better to start with a WR and strip off some weight than a YZ and having to buy new tranny parts and split the cases (an option that's not even possible with a '10+ YZ).

Or, you can go to a KTM EXC or XCW, but they weigh the same as the WR and cost more.

you are right. I was being self centered
I used mine for East Coast Hare Scrambles and would have been better off with something else.
Thats why I got SM wheels for it and dont plan on taking them off

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 26, 2011 - 07:32 PM

I raced my 05 wr450 in the desert for a couple of years. It will do the job, however, it is a heavy and slow turning bike for sure. It will never be considered "nimble". However, it is very easy to ride and is so reliable that I wasted a bunch of money on tools that I never use.

I kept my wr450,, but started racing a yz250 and now a ktm450, both of which are much lighter and easy to handle. I don't think my race results have changed much because its still 90% rider and 10% bike. But I do not miss trying to toss the yamaha around in race conditions.

I do keep it as a trail and dual sport bike and its great for that.

• OZ DRZ

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Thats why I got SM wheels for it and dont plan on taking them off

Posted Image

i adapted some cast wheels with a cush drive hub last week, piles of fun on the twisties and only cost $400 total. but the gearing needs some work... running 14/45 at the moment and she's still revving a lot at 60mph. will probably drop to a 40 tooth rear and see how that goes but i think first gear might be a tad high then. what gearing did you choose?

apparently the WR is meant to mean wide ratio but i reckon those gears are still clumped together pretty closely.

• SPLATT

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

i adapted some cast wheels with a cush drive hub last week, piles of fun on the twisties and only cost $400 total. but the gearing needs some work... running 14/45 at the moment and she's still revving a lot at 60mph. will probably drop to a 40 tooth rear and see how that goes but i think first gear might be a tad high then. what gearing did you choose?

apparently the WR is meant to mean wide ratio but i reckon those gears are still clumped together pretty closely.

What wheels are you using?

• 2grimjim

Posted December 27, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image

That's friggin' AWESOME!:bonk:

You need to post a thread showing how you did it.

• OZ DRZ

Posted December 28, 2011 - 12:59 AM

That's friggin' AWESOME!:bonk:
You need to post a thread showing how you did it.

used the free info pack here. only problem is CBR250R and CBR250RR wheels are rare as hen's teeth in a lot of countries. heaps in australia, new zealand and england though.

• Snarfie

Posted December 29, 2011 - 01:29 PM

You can call the WR whatever you want... honestly I think its kinda cool considering i've overalled local cross countries and enduros on a 'trail bike'... I guess its more the rider than the bike.. *shrug*

The bike is really versatile and can do just about anything. I love mine, and that coming from a YZ250 smoker I've raced for years.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.