installing new piston should I do anything else?

25 replies to this topic
  • KJK_JR

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:48 PM

For one thing, that's not the cylinder. Minor scoring in the lifter bores is not necessarily something bad enough to warrant replacement of the head. If the lifter fits well, has acceptable clearance, and moves freely in the bore, it's serviceable. You may want to knock down any high spots with some fine sand paper (but CLEAN it up if you do), but that doesn't look like a deal breaker to me.

I'm aware it's not the cylinder which is why i said "cylinder head" the cylinder itself is a different story. But what would be the reason for the wear on the valve lifters and the area around them?

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:11 PM

According to the manual if these scratches exist it says to replace the cylinder.

Just going by how it was written. :bonk:

Scoring of the lifter bores is virtually always due to dirt or engine debris getting in there.

• KJK_JR

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Just going by how it was written. :bonk:

Scoring of the lifter bores is virtually always due to dirt or engine debris getting in there.

:smirk: Sorry didn't catch that one.

But then wouldn't my cams have some sort of wear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Not necessarily.

• rickallen124

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Aside from the carbon build-up on the valves, they dont look too bad. Clean them up good and post new pics.

Try runnung come Chevron Techron concentrate or BG 44K on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any carbon build up.

What ratio would you run the Chevron Techron concentrate at? I have the bottles that are designed for dumping in a car at fill up, so half a bottle for 5 gallons?

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2011 - 08:18 AM

The average car is ~15 gallons, so....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.