Did I get a good deal on my bike?

11 replies to this topic
  • Cpriest10

Posted December 21, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hey guys I just bought a 1998 yamaha wr400f. It's in pretty good condition overall. Basically all stock but runs great. I picked up for 500 which I thought was pretty fair, but what do you guys think? Also I am not new to riding but haven't quite gotten the hang of kicking this bike, any tips. Thanks.

• rasta

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:59 PM

yes, great deal. starting- fuel and choke on. never touch throttle at any time. kick kicker slowly til it stops. go 1 inch past that. bring kick starter back to top position and kick all the way through. never give it gas during starting.

• RiderX

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Dang good deal.

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 21, 2011 - 10:02 PM

Anything that runs, moves and more than 80% of the pieces are there is worth $500!

You got a good deal. Let's see some pics!

• Michael520

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:15 AM

very good deal!

• mikeylikesit

Posted December 22, 2011 - 04:27 AM

$500 and doesn't need a lot of work is a great deal.

Kick it while on a stand or leaned against a tree so your left foot is on the footpeg= more leverage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cpriest10

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Ya I'll get some pics on here later and thanks.

• zlathim

Posted December 22, 2011 - 08:07 AM

$500 is a great deal for that bike, especially if it runs.

• YamaLink

Posted December 22, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Change the oil, clean the air filter, check suspension linkage bearings, spoke tension, all the nuts and bolts for proper torque. Set sag, etc.

Learn how to start it.....and then rode it like you stole it! Which you basically did for $500. Good job!

• RasmusDK

Posted December 22, 2011 - 12:53 PM

Good deal!

From this thread "http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447989" :

How to Start a YZ426 (Video with Doug Dubach- Special Thanks to Yamaha Motors, and all the Good People at Dubach Racing Development)
(Requires QuickTime, or a player that will handle QT videos)
Part 1: (Cold) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

Part 2: (Hot Start) http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

Note: Video may take a few minutes to download.

Cheers!

• 2grimjim

Posted December 22, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys I just bought a 1998 yamaha wr400f. It's in pretty good condition overall. Basically all stock but runs great. I picked up for 500 which I thought was pretty fair, but what do you guys think? Also I am not new to riding but haven't quite gotten the hang of kicking this bike, any tips. Thanks.

If it's in decent condion and you can right it, I'd say yes.

I think the first thing you will want to do is replace the stock exhaust cam with a Hot-Cams replacement with the automatic compression release. You can toss the manual release and save yourself a lot of grief by doing this mod.

Other than that, ride it!

• Cpriest10

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hey guys I got the bike out some more today despite the 30 degree weather haha. I am starting to get the hang of kicking it and starting it good. Also what are these free mods I hear about for these?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.