Rear end chatter when braking

5 replies to this topic
  • tawood385

Posted July 27, 2001 - 04:26 PM

Just finished the break-in maintenance and started to ride my YZ426 hard for the first time. I noticed that when I braked hard the rear end would chatter. I've always braked while downshifting with the clutch out on my 2 strokes...should I be doing this on the 426? (I noticed it wouldn't chatter with the clutch in).
My chain is tightened to specs, and I'm riding on hard pack clay.

Tim

------------------
'01 YZ426
'00 Harley Police Special(Got it for free, and I get paid to ride it!)

• yzernie

Posted July 27, 2001 - 05:02 PM

Sounds like chain slap. With the clutch in, the back wheel will freewheel instead of having deceleration(sp) drag on it. Not a problem.

Ernie

• fastkevin

Posted July 27, 2001 - 06:58 PM

Depending on your speed, engine braking will cause chattering. When you pull in the clutch while braking, you take engine braking out of the equation. I do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MHYZ100

Posted July 27, 2001 - 07:43 PM

Chain clatter it is. Don't worry about it. On the other hand don't pull that clutch in when you brake. Use the compression braking as you down shift to stop you faster than everybody else. A four stroke is heavy and a four stroke with the clutch pulled in under braking is heavy and fast. You'll have to brake twice as hard.

• Boit

Posted July 27, 2001 - 10:05 PM

I've noticed this chatter as well. I've tried braking with and without disengaging the clutch and have found that using the engine braking is a better and more effective braking method. I just ignore the chatter.

• fastkevin

Posted July 28, 2001 - 07:10 PM

I guess I must have been blessed with one heck of a good braking system on my '01 I can lock up either end if I would desire to. I also don't risk stalling itfrom the rear end locking . BTW It's the whole reason why back torque limiters were invented.They let the motor "free-wheel" more like a two-stroke under braking, instead of allowing the rear wheel to "chatter". The chain is going to "slap" from the rear end chattering. My contention is that it's simply a by-product.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.