Baja Designs block off kit

5 replies to this topic
  • Thumpinit

Posted September 30, 2003 - 06:49 AM

I just purchased a Baja Designs block off kit for my brothers XR650L. It has not got here yet, but I was wondering if anyone know if it removes all of the hoses and canisters on the bike? If anyone has a pic and could send it, I would very much like to see what it looks like? Thanks in advance.
Randy

• loufish

Posted September 30, 2003 - 08:11 PM

It does away with the canister, but if I remember correctly, there is one hose you plug up...I think...the real problem is the bolt in the center of the exhaust ports, it's a "gem" to get to, and tighter then s**t!. We had to grind down a metric allen wrench to install the block-off plate, I say we, because my bud has an 01', and I have an 02', and we did both at about the same time...both bikes had issues removing the bolt.

• sonorawfo

Posted October 01, 2003 - 05:26 PM

It's a easy swap with good instructions but be aware that you will need to rejett the bike Baja also sells a kit for that that works well, all well worth the time a expence to wake the beast up. :). While your on the Baja site check out the wieght savings for the 650L. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TZAR

Posted October 02, 2003 - 12:12 AM

I installed the same on my '04 XR650L, it was an easy install. There is quite a bit of junk that you will happily get to remove. The directions are fairly good, however, having a OEM owners manual would have helped a bit to identify some of the components, especially for a non-tech like me... But, even that, I was able to get through it. No problem. Sorry I have no pics...

• altarider

Posted October 02, 2003 - 01:12 PM

I put one on my 02 with good results. It was super easy, but I was a bit nervous when I set out to do it, not know ing what vacuum hose was what on the carb. It was easy to deduce the two on my bike 'cause you can trace the other hoses to see if they are overflow tubes or not. Also, you need to re-route one of the hoses from the airbox to the breather thing on top of the crankhousing. (By the way, I don't know if I'm using all the correct terms, but if it's not called the crankhousing, sorry, but I think you'll be able to figure out what I mean) Anyway, make sure you leave enough hose to re-route it without kinking it. If your bike is older you might even want to get a new piece of hosing about 16 inches long. They tend to remember their shape and they want to kink if you have to bend them the opposite way they were bent.
The vinyl caps for the vacuum tubes on the carb worked fine on one connection, but on the other I had to leave a little one inch piece of tubing and invert the vinyl cap into the tubing to block it off.
Good luck with it.

• Thumpinit

Posted October 02, 2003 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the info on the Block Off Kit.... I appreciate the info... I called Baja Designs today and it should be in tomorrow... Sounds like a 12 pack and a little time is all it will take..
Thanks again
Randy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.