DRZ SM morphed into a RMZ 450

19 replies to this topic
  • gsxrdoug

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:24 AM

So I was pondering the thought that a RMZ 450 looks a lot like a DRZ and if it had DRZ SM wheels and headlight tailight it may even apear to be a DRZ.

So my question is what are the major gaines from doing something like this? I'm horsepower is better, probably lighter but is it as reliable as the DRZ?

Any comments welcome.

note: I know it is illegal to transform said machine into the RMZ and ride it on the street, will face that if worth it.

:bonk:

• iitreatedii

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Well the rmz has a close gear ratio transmission, so if commuting I would expect to toast that motor

• gsxrdoug

Posted December 21, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Well there goes that Idea.

• iitreatedii

Posted December 21, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Lol it is a motocross bike lol if you want to go with an off road bike with more power than the z look into either a ktm, a yamaha wr450 (which is a yz450f with wider gear box ratio) or you can get a crf450x...same ordeal if you were to get a crf450r...great for the track but for the road, your gonna toast it...

• TOLL

Posted January 29, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Not true on the "toasting " my RMZSM has well over 10000 miles on her an is as strong as ever. Compression is holding and I have only adjusted it once.
2007 RMZ 450
490 Athena BB kit
Street legal Headlight, blinkers, tail light, BJD regulator upgraded stator, in drycell battery.
Talon /Excel wheelset 14/39 gear ratio for street
RC gold hoops on stock hubs (for now) 14/50 gear ratio for dirt

Do it if nothing else do it for the variety and the attention. I get alot of looks and it is awesome to ride!

Dressing her in new AVON Distanzias and all new Carbon all over the place in 2 weeks! Super pumped!!

• mickeydee

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:33 AM

i would not ride any motorcrosser on the street for prolonged periods of time.reliability is an issue.the pistons are like pancakes and like to turn sideways in the bore if left to long.the transmissions were never designed to take the abuse of the street for long periods of time either.

• zig06

Posted January 29, 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think it's worth trying, with a set of SM wheels (geared for the road) and a higher output stator you could have a very cool bike! In MX form it's geared for "about 85mph" and with the trans constructed to handle the abuse of MX, I have to believe that it'll be more than stout enough to last on the road.

Personally I would go with a newer EFI model, then drop on an IMS 2.6 gallon tank and you'll be golden!

• Kcizik

Posted January 29, 2012 - 01:07 PM

What about the rmx450z? Wouldn't that have the wider ratio box?

• mickeydee

Posted January 29, 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think it's worth trying, with a set of SM wheels (geared for the road) and a higher output stator you could have a very cool bike! In MX form it's geared for "about 85mph" and with the trans constructed to handle the abuse of MX, I have to believe that it'll be more than stout enough to last on the road.

Personally I would go with a newer EFI model, then drop on an IMS 2.6 gallon tank and you'll be golden!

in mx or sx your rear wheel is spinning a lot thus less constant heavy load. on the street its getting lots of grip and next to nothing for wheel spin.the constant load put on the drive train is harder on the transmission.

i would have to agree it would be really cool though

Edited by mickeydee, January 29, 2012 - 02:16 PM.

• EMX5636

Posted January 29, 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have always pondered putting the DRZ engine into a RMZ/KX250 (but 450 also) frame. Drop a bunch of weight, but keep the reliability.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zig06

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:13 PM

in mx or sx your rear wheel is spinning a lot thus less constant heavy load. on the street its getting lots of grip and next to nothing for wheel spin.the constant load put on the drive train is harder on the transmission.

i would have to agree it would be really cool though

True, but imagine the shock load that a trans has to go through when you skate over a series of whoops. You would be at full throttle, and then go from accelerating the entire bike to zero when it's in the air and then almost instantly back to accelerating the bike and rider again. Plus in dirt drag racing it's generally accepted that in the dirt you do accelerate faster (harder) than on asphalt. That's mostly due to using paddle tires so it may not be totally useable in this case, but still it does show that life in the dirt isn't a cake walk for a transmission.

And if newbe TOLL has 10,000 miles on a converted RMZ450, I have to believe that this can be repeated. Hey TOLL, how about posting a picture of your RMZsm ?

What about the rmx450z? Wouldn't that have the wider ratio box?

You are absolutely correct, but the problem is that in the US we cannot buy a RMX450. I would own one if we could.

Edited by zig06, January 29, 2012 - 06:17 PM.

• Craig-o

Posted January 30, 2012 - 02:38 AM

That sucks...Readily available in Australia..
with a wet weight of 123kg it would be a hoot to ride....

Posted Image

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:10 AM

i have this ... wiseco 3 ring piston replaces the OEM 2 ring piston , cures oil burning issues .

14 tooth front and 48 tooth rear sprocket gives it great road manners

CRF450R cam gives it some grunt ...along with a pro circuit pipe , air box mods and jetted .

yep ... it rips !!

Posted Image

Edited by chooken, January 30, 2012 - 03:11 AM.

• Craig-o

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:36 AM

That always looks so clean..A real credit to it's owner... :smirk:
It would be nice to sneak in a ADR compliance plate to get to the tracks..

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:48 AM

too bad you live on the other side of the paddock ... you could take it for a test ride , so long as you dont loop it ...
of course :smirk:

hey check out the small tag , just at the front of the tank on the frame ... its a compliance plate :bonk:

• Craig-o

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:53 AM

Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but do they come ADR approved or is that something you organised?

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 30, 2012 - 04:25 AM

the R version is off road only , same as both RMZ models

the CRF X version is ADR compliant

what do i hear ... :smirk: is that craigs footsteps running towards a Honda stealer ???

• Craig-o

Posted January 30, 2012 - 01:45 PM

That's good to know for future reference....

• shift1313

Posted September 08, 2013 - 05:07 AM

So I was pondering the thought that a RMZ 450 looks a lot like a DRZ and if it had DRZ SM wheels and headlight tailight it may even apear to be a DRZ.

So my question is what are the major gaines from doing something like this? I'm horsepower is better, probably lighter but is it as reliable as the DRZ?

Any comments welcome.

note: I know it is illegal to transform said machine into the RMZ and ride it on the street, will face that if worth it.

:ride:

this came up in a google search looking for something else.  These MX bikes work fine in supermoto trim with super sticky tires.  I wouldnt have any concerns about the tranny on the road.  Lots more power, light weight is all fun.  Having a drz and rmz, i couldnt see the point of tagging the rmz unless i wanted to ride trails with it.  The front wheel comes up when you gas it hard, mine is super loud, they run hot so you can't sit still, my 4speed version would suck on the street.   The chassis isnt the only heavy thing on the drz so just putting a drz motor in an rmz chassis wouldnt drop a ton of weight either.  My RMZ has things like Ti cams, lightweight internals, ti exhaust(factory header is ti too) etc.  Just the weight of my mrd header is probably the weight of my rmz full exhaust.

I have seen a few street legal mx bikes around.  a cr500, seen some yz450s, an rmz450 and a crf.  It would be a fun once a month type of ride, but nothing like hopping on a drz and going for a long time without thinking about it.  

• jcy

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:15 AM

this came up in a google search looking for something else.  These MX bikes work fine in supermoto trim with super sticky tires.  I wouldnt have any concerns about the tranny on the road.  Lots more power, light weight is all fun.  Having a drz and rmz, i couldnt see the point of tagging the rmz unless i wanted to ride trails with it.  The front wheel comes up when you gas it hard, mine is super loud, they run hot so you can't sit still, my 4speed version would suck on the street.   The chassis isnt the only heavy thing on the drz so just putting a drz motor in an rmz chassis wouldnt drop a ton of weight either.  My RMZ has things like Ti cams, lightweight internals, ti exhaust(factory header is ti too) etc.  Just the weight of my mrd header is probably the weight of my rmz full exhaust.

I have seen a few street legal mx bikes around.  a cr500, seen some yz450s, an rmz450 and a crf.  It would be a fun once a month type of ride, but nothing like hopping on a drz and going for a long time without thinking about it.  

That's the beauty of the DRZ.

I have a road legal  E model that I haven't take the 17" rims off for a long time.

Bar taking off the side cases and checking all is tight . (Had the alternator chewed to bits)

They seem to be a very reliable motor.

The problem is Suzuki have nothing else like the DRZ available (Or any other Japanese firm)

European offerings need a lot of loving if you don't want grief.

What do we buy when they stop making the DRZ. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Bolt on shorty levers for DRZ-400SM? by TheSuperMotoTard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  51 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z400S 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.