Trail Tech Voyager GPS on WR450

12 replies to this topic
  • americium

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'm considering getting the Trail Tech Voyager for my 2006 WR450 but... it looks like when you mount it the stock speedo/trip meter is under it. has anyone mounted one of these on a 450? Is that the only option, putting it over the top of the speedo?

The Trail Tech website doesn't go into it. I have an email into them but thought I would see if anyone here has one of these units and figured a better way.

Thanks

• MANIAC998

Posted December 21, 2011 - 05:42 AM

I'm interested in this one too. My understanding is that you no longer need/use the stock dash, so maybe you remove it? Maniac

• kawi380

Posted December 21, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Was thinking about that same setup just the other day. I like my stock speedo....but would also like to have a decent rugged GPS to go along with it.

• SXP

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have the older Endurance and Vapor units on my bikes and I will say this.....there's nothing rugged about them - way to finicky for something that lives in an offroad environment. YMMV. I hope the Voyager is a better unit, it sure cost enough:eek:

• Derwud

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:50 PM

I removed the stock speedo/computer from my WR and installed the Voyager, so far so good..

Had Endurance units on my YZ and Quads and never had a problem with them..

• Bandit9

Posted December 24, 2011 - 10:21 PM

A guy we rode with Friday had a Voyager. I checked it out and was disappointed that it was like my 10year old eTrex. No color, no actual road maps, just a little line making tracks. I'll wait until they improve it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • americium

Posted December 24, 2011 - 11:59 PM

bandit9: I agree, no maps or topo, I'll wait until it's updated as well.

I sent a note to the manufacturer asking if the stock speedo needs to be removed and they replied yes, it does need to be removed. I suppose there isn't really any other option with the WR.

Too bad, it would be nice to have the combo of a GPS with a speedo, engine temp and ODO.

• cherrypicker7

Posted December 26, 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have the Trail Tech Endurance model on my 05 WR450 and mounted another on a KDX 220R that I formerly owned. You basically pitch the stock odometer, or at least shelve it. Trail Tech gives you plenty of info on mounting, although I went with an accessory billet mount instead of the handlebar mount that comes with the unit. Good unit, great company to work with, They really stand behind their product. Believe the Voyager and other models may have coolant temp, tach, and possibly GPS and or compass. Which would be a nice addition. I usually run a Garmin GPS 60Cx along with the Trail Tech Endurance, to confirm location and direction.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:45 AM

A guy we rode with Friday had a Voyager. I checked it out and was disappointed that it was like my 10year old eTrex. No color, no actual road maps, just a little line making tracks. I'll wait until they improve it.

This was a big disappointment for me as well, but I bought one anyway.

The reason is that it will save up to 140,000 track points in the internal memory and if that isn't enough it accepts a SD card for virtually unlimited storage.

I do a lot of long trail rides and the track saving abilities of most standalone GPS units just wasn't cutting it.

Plus, as another poster mentioned it has engine temperature, speed, and other monitoring so it is nice to have for that info. It is also weatherproof, bolted to the bike, and hooked to the battery so I never have to worry about it.

But I also need to have maps available and being disappointed in the lack of maps on the Voyager so I am running a Garmin GPS V on the bike also.

• jsnavarro23

Posted January 05, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I installed the Voyager about a week ago and have been trying to get the RPM to read properly. When I wrapped the wire around the coil, I measured 9000 RPM. I now have it soldered directly to the Orange wire and still measure 9000 RPM.

The Voyager allows you to select RPM/2, RPM*2 and RPM. I choose all three options and noted the changes RPM/2 = 4500 RPM, RPM*2 = 18000 RPM, RPM = 9000

I guess pretty clear what that setting does. How do I get this thing to measure the proper RPM at idle. I know it isn't really 4500 or any of the above.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I installed the Voyager about a week ago and have been trying to get the RPM to read properly. When I wrapped the wire around the coil, I measured 9000 RPM. I now have it soldered directly to the Orange wire and still measure 9000 RPM.

The Voyager allows you to select RPM/2, RPM*2 and RPM. I choose all three options and noted the changes RPM/2 = 4500 RPM, RPM*2 = 18000 RPM, RPM = 9000

I guess pretty clear what that setting does. How do I get this thing to measure the proper RPM at idle. I know it isn't really 4500 or any of the above.

Well, I have the same problem with this on my bike. Don't know what the solution is, I pretty much just ignore the RPM now and let the Voyager just use it to know when the engine is running versus not.

• YamRZ350

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Per their instructions (with the Vapor), I ended up wrapping their lead around the coil wire and into the connector. Works perfect. Why this is different than soldering directly to the wire I don't know, but it worked for me.

• crakey

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:28 AM

For all the guys that have removed the stock setup, I am looking for a stock speedo for an 08 WR450, PM me and include $$ please. I have used Trailtech's vapor computer on my '99 WR400 and it has lasted for years with hundreds of bumps, crashes, and pressure washes. The thing that I believe helped it to stand the abuse was flexible *plastic bracket* that I made (in 5 mins) to attach to the bike; it allowed some flex in the system and kept it from breaking/bending....just throwing in my 2 cents...don't know if you can do that with the Voyager but it may be something to look into.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.