dog bone linkage replacement

4 replies to this topic
  • mtpkts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Here are the pics from the dog bone linkage bearing replacement project on my 06 YZ250f

Steps:
1) Remove linkage from the bike using the 19mm socket. I had to use an open ended spanner on the bearing side of the dog bone linkage b/c the chain guide wheel didn't allow for me to get my ratcheting spanner around it.

2) Once the part is removed, clean it up. Here is the Harbor Freight blind bearing removal tool for $65.
Posted Image

3) Use the second to largest bearing removal tool. Snug it up to the bearing middle inside raised diameter and then work it gently to the edge of the bearing. I taped the tool with electrical tape so that the needle bearings didn't fall into the tool cracks.
Posted Image

4) Here is a pic of the way that I vised the linkage part and then pounded down with the assist of gravity. My bench is light so when I did it up or to the side things kept flying off the table.
Posted Image

5) The bearing was a little slow to come out at first and I readjusted the tool to better seat after I pulled it out a couple mm. I guess you could heat it up, but I didn't have to do that.

6) Here is the bearing out of the part.
Posted Image

7) I used my Army training and pounded the new part flush with a piece of wood and a dead blow hammer. Then used this combination of washers, sockets, and all-thread to recess it back the final 4mm.
Posted Image

• Swede73

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Nice write up man!!!

• YamaLink

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:26 AM

Excellent use of that Army training!

What camera did you use?

• mtpkts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Used the iPhone 4s camera.

• 762SPR

Posted December 21, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Looks good! Be careful about pounding on those bearings to seat them though. If your vise is wide enough you can use that to press them in. A shop press is obviously the best way, but sometimes we need to improvise!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.