New to Hare Scrambles - bike set up

20 replies to this topic
  • moto543

Posted December 20, 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have an '01 YZ 250 2 stroke that I'm going to be using for Hare Scrambles this coming season. The only mods done to it are a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. What mods would you guys do to it to get it ready?

I've been racing Motocross and may still use it for that (I have a thumper that's my MX bike) but I want to try some Hare Scrambles. They look like some serious fun!!!

So what have you guys done as far as things like gearing, suspension, hand gaurds, fly wheel weights, etc.

Thanks!!!

• NorCal

Posted December 20, 2011 - 03:38 PM

You are on the right track....

My hare scramble bike has the following

Revalved suspension
Skid plate
bigger tank
Radiator braces
Bigger rear sprocket for tighter courses
Handguards (I prefer the flag style with folding levers)
HD Tubes at the bare minimum. Plan on flats being a problem, you could opt for Tubliss or Bibs.

You could even get a steering damper if you really want to get carried away.

• Zach Attack

Posted December 20, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yea this upcoming season I want to get into hare scrambles. I've got 5 miles of single track hell and a 100 acres that I ride on. This upcoming year I want to see how I do competing against others. I've never raced so it will all be new to me. I'm on a stock KTM 300. I'm also curious to what you may want/need for racing hare scrambles.

I'm sure you could run a stock bike and place pretty well. From what I hear, one thing that is crucial are pull straps!

• highmarker

Posted December 20, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Dont forget gearing, or a little 200 exc will walk ya when it opens up

• tsquare

Posted December 20, 2011 - 04:04 PM

You are on the right track....

My hare scramble bike has the following

Revalved suspension
Skid plate
bigger tank
Radiator braces
Bigger rear sprocket for tighter courses
Handguards (I prefer the flag style with folding levers)
HD Tubes at the bare minimum. Plan on flats being a problem, you could opt for Tubliss or Bibs.

You could even get a steering damper if you really want to get carried away.

+1......You might want to have a Spark arrester as some courses require them,some don't.Lot's of tear off's and a camel back make life easier also.And get to the gym and get after it!!!Good luck to you!!!:bonk:

• NorCal

Posted December 20, 2011 - 04:12 PM

+1......You might want to have a Spark arrester as some courses require them,some don't.Lot's of tear off's and a camel back make life easier also.And get to the gym and get after it!!!Good luck to you!!!:bonk:

Oh yeah... I forgot about that, too!

I wear a set of Scott goggles with roll offs and 2-3 holeshot tear offs.

I also wear a camel back that is the fanny pack style. It holds about 40 oz of
water, which sometimes isn't quite enough, but I don't like the feeling of 100 oz
of water sloshing around on my back, yanking on my shoulders.

You may have to refuel as well, so have a can of gas waiting for you at the pits.
I always change goggles when I pit as well.

Hope that helps.

• Theeebalz

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:05 PM

for the bike, skid plate bark busters if you want, a good sized tank some heat wrap for your pipe/ guards for your pipe (i learned the heat wrap the hardway...) and some $ or time setting the suspension the way you like it.

• lvereen001

Posted December 21, 2011 - 05:30 PM

You can race a stock bike and be competitive the good guys can win on anything. The only thing you really need are bark busters and good ones. See how you like it and then everything else mentioned on here are things to work on getting if you like it. they will fine tune your bike for sure Some places do require spark arrestor though.

• Squidless

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:00 PM

I did the following:

- Lower gearing (smaller front sprocket is cheap).

- Flywheel weight. I would get as heavy as I can.

- Suspension revalve. Be prepared for blisters and getting beat to death if you don't.

• mjskier

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:08 PM

It all depends on what your course looks like. Our HS are half MX tracks and the rest some high speed stuff and some tight turns. Stock MX bikes work just fine for that.

• Karlgp

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Stock with bark busters will work fine.

I'm always more concerned about being in shape to ride at speed for 2+ hours.

• NemadjiMan

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:57 AM

If you're lookin' to come up here to MN's D23 to do some "scramblin"" (Millville, Mazeppa, etc...), then you'll need a spark arrestor and a silencer that meets the AMA sound test rule of 94 dB. Everyone gets tested at every AMA sanctioned event here. Also, you'll want real handguards, as the trees get awful close at some of the courses here.

+1 at being in shape for a long ride although if you're a C rider, it'll be a 1 hour event for you. 1 hour for a tensed up C rider is probably tougher than 2 hours for an A rider.

• Layton

Posted December 22, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Since he's from Iowa I'd assume he will ride the IERA series. www.iera22.com

A spark arrestor is not needed. No sound test but having a quiet bike is always nice.

2 hour races, mostly all woods so bark busters for sure. Maybe a biger tank but I wouldn't worry about that right away.

Lots of guys run mx bikes like yours. Having the suspension revalved a little softer would probably help but ride a few races to see if you even like them.

What part of Iowa do you live in? Just asking because if you live in the eastern part of the state D-17 in IL has LOTS of HS races.

• Theeebalz

Posted December 22, 2011 - 12:18 PM

What part of Iowa do you live in? Just asking because if you live in the eastern part of the state D-17 in IL has LOTS of HS races.

layton don't you do a bunch of wfo promo races?

• moto543

Posted December 23, 2011 - 04:55 AM

I live in Iowa City. (I'm originally from Minnesota and raced alot at Millville, Mazeppa and Plain View!) So yeah, I would do the IERA series. Thanks for all the advice!!!! Here's another question for you guys - Anyone use thier bikes for both HS and moto?

• mkeeping

Posted December 23, 2011 - 07:43 AM

My bike does double duty. I found that the stock suspension on my 08 CRF450r beats me up a bit in the woods, although, it beats me up on the track too :bonk:. I've recently revalved it so that it is a bit softer but, I do most of my riding/training on a motocross track so I valved it for the track not the woods. Alot of the races around here are incorporating motocross tracks into the courses so I don't find that a stiff suspension is that much of a disadvantage.

• MELK-MAN

Posted December 23, 2011 - 07:54 AM

I live in Iowa City. (I'm originally from Minnesota and raced alot at Millville, Mazeppa and Plain View!) So yeah, I would do the IERA series. Thanks for all the advice!!!! Here's another question for you guys - Anyone use thier bikes for both HS and moto?

lots do.. hard to have both perfect though especially after you revalve for harescrambles/enduro. Even stiffening the settings the initial stroke gets soft. I ride harescrambles way faster after revlaving my mx fork/shock. It ain't the same.. so if mx is your priority, just soften your clickers a bunch.

as some above have already suggested, just go do one to start. See what it's like. You don't "need" a bigger tank, flywheel weight, etc. I WOULD soften your suspension settings, write your current settings down somewhere and back stuff off. Harescrambles may have a little jump (1,2 maybe) but it is the sharp edge stuff (roots, rocks, ruts) that will really wear you down with firm mx valving/settings.
I would say a set of bark busters (like UFO, Aceribis, cycra, etc) , soften your suspension settings, and go race. You will plan on stopping for fuel and that may do you some good, the 1 min breather may help. Many do it that way.

PS: there are lots and lots of threads on woods set up/set up for off road..

• NemadjiMan

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:15 AM

A spark arrestor is not needed. No sound test......

Sad...........:bonk:

• Layton

Posted December 23, 2011 - 10:24 AM

layton don't you do a bunch of wfo promo races?

Yes I do.

• Layton

Posted December 23, 2011 - 10:25 AM

Sad...........:bonk:

I agree on the sound test part.

We don't race in any state or national forests so there for we don't have the SA requirement.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.