New 01 YZ 426 rider

7 replies to this topic
  • chopperman

Posted July 27, 2001 - 05:15 AM

I just scored a new 01 426. This bike will be primarily used for MX as well as some hare scramble duty. Being a new memeber of the 26 family can you guys give me an idea of the normal modifications / upgrades that are made prior to going to the track?

• Roostie_1

Posted July 27, 2001 - 06:30 AM

The best part about the 426 is that it needs little or no modification to be an awesome bike. My last bike (96' KX 250) had $2000 + in suspension, motor and other mods and it didn't hold a candle compared to my bone stock 01' 426!

I replaced the stock bars with a set of oversize bars using the universal adapters (I like the extra height as I am 6'2")and I replaced the chain with a heavy duty O-ring (I used Regina, but there is lots of good brand names out there). After I broke in the suspension I went to the next stiffer spring for the forks as I weigh 195. Other than that the bike needs nothing. I race my bike in the novice class regularily with great satisfaction. Sure you can get fancy if you like, but it's not necessary - I'm sure that lots of people will agree with me here.

Basically it's simple math:

426 + bars + chain = the best bike out there!

BTW - the chain and bars are pretty much necessities as the bars will bend or break the first time you lay the bike over and the monster torque of the 426 will turn the chain into tooth floss in a few short rides!

ABP

• chopperman

Posted July 27, 2001 - 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Roostie_1:
The best part about the 426 is that it needs little or no modification to be an awesome bike. My last bike (96' KX 250) had $2000 + in suspension, motor and other mods and it didn't hold a candle compared to my bone stock 01' 426!

I replaced the stock bars with a set of oversize bars using the universal adapters (I like the extra height as I am 6'2")and I replaced the chain with a heavy duty O-ring (I used Regina, but there is lots of good brand names out there). After I broke in the suspension I went to the next stiffer spring for the forks as I weigh 195. Other than that the bike needs nothing. I race my bike in the novice class regularily with great satisfaction. Sure you can get fancy if you like, but it's not necessary - I'm sure that lots of people will agree with me here.

BTW - the chain and bars are pretty much necessities as the bars will bend or break the first time you lay the bike over and the monster torque of the 426 will turn the chain into tooth floss in a few short rides!

ABP

Thanks for the response. Sounds like we are close to the same size. I am 6'1" and about 205 lbs. Which poistion do you run you bars in, 4? I have 35" long arms. Let me know.

• chopperman

Posted July 27, 2001 - 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Roostie_1:

ABP

By the way what springs would you recomend for the forks and should I consider a change to the shock spring based on my weight and size? Let me know a good source for the springs as well.

Thanks, chopperman

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted July 27, 2001 - 08:42 AM

I put the 1.5" forward x 1.5" high, bar risers with Jimmy button Renthals on my 01 426. What a difference... Im 6'4", 215 lbs, now I can stand comfortably. I got the risers from www.thumperracingusa.com I'll post a pic tommorow. I would recommend the risers for the tall guys, they really help you in the standing position and cornering. By far the best mod Ive done so far.
Mike

• MGR8

Posted July 27, 2001 - 10:18 AM

Chopperman,
I weight about 200 and I went up one spring size on the forks and left the stock rear spring. It should be perfect for your weight. The bike rips stock. Good luck

• Roostie_1

Posted July 27, 2001 - 01:01 PM

Hey flyingguitars, those bar risers sound intriguing, are they for oversize bars? As a tall person I am always looking for ways to improve the cockpit. I find that everytime I put on taller bars or move my bars forward and little things like that it seems to hwlp me feel more confident on my bike. I was also thinking about switching to taller seat foam as there never really seems to be much to grab with my knees.

• flyinguitars

Posted July 31, 2001 - 09:22 PM

Roostie,
I dont know if they make the risers for oversize bars or not. The risers aren't listed on the web site but they have a 1-800 number. By the way, fellow thumper K Mcbride turned me on to the risers, Im glad I listened! Im with you on the taller seat foam. When I stand and squeeze the bike with my legs, my knees almost touch. That will likely be my next mod. As a tall guy, I will never take those risers off..they seem to lower your center of gravity allowing you to move around and control the bike easier. I'll posr a pic soon.
Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.