2007 Wr 450 "grey wire"

15 replies to this topic
  • brianbaker

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:26 AM

I have been trying to find this "grey wire" (rev limiter) on my friends WR because he races motocross with the bike and needs more "go" but i cant find it. A friend told me it was coming out of the cdi box in the sub frame somewhere, but didnt know if your just supposed to cut it or ground it.

Anyone know what the right thing to do is?

• 2grimjim

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:07 AM

Really races MX with it!? More of a man than me.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of info. You DON'T want to ground anything, unless you want to buy new electrical parts. The best way to disable the gray wire is to remove the pin from the connector with a pointed pick, wrap it with some tape or heat shrink, and silicone the hole closed in the connector.

• KennyMc

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:24 AM

From the FAQ section of this forum:thumbsup:

On the '07-up, it's under the left side panel in the 6-pin connector. The best way to do it is to push the wire out of the connector using a small slotted screwdriver and then tape off the ends. That way you can always put it back together if you want, though I don't know why you'd want to.

• brianbaker

Posted December 19, 2011 - 12:10 PM

Really races MX with it!? More of a man than me.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of info. You DON'T want to ground anything, unless you want to buy new electrical parts. The best way to disable the gray wire is to remove the pin from the connector with a pointed pick, wrap it with some tape or heat shrink, and silicone the hole closed in the connector.

thank for the info. Also, it isnt that he is more of a man, its because were both broke and if we want to race, that what we got to work with. probably better off on the WR then my drz400sm in the dirt, i hope

• 2grimjim

Posted December 19, 2011 - 01:36 PM

thank for the info. Also, it isnt that he is more of a man, its because were both broke and if we want to race, that what we got to work with. probably better off on the WR then my drz400sm in the dirt, i hope

First MX race I did was on a 10 year old Husqvarna 400XC. Definately not a motocrross machine.

I finished dead last.

I switched to enduros and hare scrambles after that, but the Husky still kicked my arse.

• brianbaker

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:53 AM

We found the grey wire, got it out, taped it up, still acts like there a regulator. any ideas?

• GuyGraham

Posted December 22, 2011 - 11:17 AM

have you
replaced the throttle stop screw?
taken out the airbox snorkel?
taken out the pea shooter in the silencer?
re-jetted to suit?

until you've done these, the bike is a slug

• brianbaker

Posted December 22, 2011 - 03:36 PM

what do you think about the ASI removal kit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted December 22, 2011 - 06:43 PM

The AIS removal saves weight and reduces the decel pop. It doesn't help performance.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 11, 2012 - 04:16 PM

We found the grey wire, got it out, taped it up, still acts like there a regulator. any ideas?

That's because there is! It's called a Rev-limiter, and it's purpose is to help keep you from blowing the engine up. If your bouncing off the rev-limiter, shift the darn thing! And if your bouncing off the rev-limiter, and your in 5th, and your on a MX track:

1st- Your going incredibly fast!!!
2nd- That's one crazy fast straightaway!!!
3rd- You don't need any advice from me, if your already that fast!!! :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:15 AM

The gray wire aids in throttle response and raises the rev limiter.
You need to change your exhaust cam timing to YZ specs, and put on a good pipe. Good for 3+ HP.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 15, 2012 - 06:10 AM

The gray wire aids in throttle response and raises the rev limiter.
You need to change your exhaust cam timing to YZ specs, and put on a good pipe. Good for 3+ HP.

The gray wire doesnt raise the limiter...

Also yz timing hasnt been done since 2002...starting in 03 the auto decomp cam did away with that mod

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:19 AM

The gray wire doesnt raise the limiter...

Also yz timing hasnt been done since 2002...starting in 03 the auto decomp cam did away with that mod

Ooooh...

• n16ht5

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:16 PM

so what exactly does the grey wire do anyway? I don't think my bike has ever had it plugged in..

• mikewrf18

Posted October 21, 2012 - 04:12 AM

I'm no expert, but I believe it changes the mapping on the cdi to YZ mapping. Some like to change they're mapping back to stock in certain conditions and place a toggle switch on it. The bike has to be off, in order to switch the mapping though. Can't be done on the fly.

• 72degrees

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:33 AM

I'm hoping my tuned 04 YZ450F has a rev limiter. I haven't hit it yet despite only having 4 gears and riding it on tarmac courses with reasonable straights, but when my lad gets on it next year it may be a different matter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.