10 450 cutting out (random STILL)

25 replies to this topic
  • moto278

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:42 AM

ok so i have yet to figure this out. altho it has gotten really odd now. it only cuts out at WOT, and is completely random, some days can ride all day without a problem, others 15 minutes and its done. so yesturday i was riding, it happened, plugged the gytr tuner into it, read the computer totally normal. tp is 0, all temps normal, no codes. took off the tuner went riding, didnt have a problem the rest of the day. so after about 20 min of hard mx riding, 2 minutes screwin with the tuner nd went bak out, its completely normal. ive cleaned the fuel pump, injector, tb, tp sensor, checked all my wiring, no exhaust leaks, no air intake leaks. air fliter is clean, fresh oil, fresh gas. runnin vp's c12 for my cp 13.75:1 piston. anyone have any ideas? its driving me insane!

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:30 AM

"Cuts out" means shuts off, a regular (rhythmic, has a regular cyclic pattern) miss, or an erratic, irregular misfire?

• tech24

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:41 AM

also have you had this problem in warm temps or only cold? The reason I ask is I had a similar problem one day riding fast in the cold. The fuel mixture was so rich I had an ocassional "miss" and some stall issues.

• moto278

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:54 PM

usually happens when the motor is warmd up. did it during summer and yesturda (50 degrees F) i go to crak the throttle WOT and the rpms climb till the higher rpms (wouldnt do it connected to tuner so not sure at wat rpm it starts) but the motor just stops, rpms drop and right before it dies the rpms pick up again then get high again and same thing opens. thats if i leave the throttle twisted WOT, it doesnt stop, keeps doing it. like i said before, the only time i ever got it to stop was yesturday when i connected my tuner to the bike nd tried to re-create it. didnt happen

• tech24

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:49 AM

I don't think 50 degrees is cold enough to cause what I described. I'd be leanin towards a fuel pump problem. The only way to catch it would be to have a fuel pressure guage installed inline and watch it while problem occurs which isn't ideal.

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Sounds like the fuel pump, but it's odd it won't do it with the tuner plugged in. Having it straighten up with the tool connected suggests an ECU.

If you have a friend with a similar bike, you might try swapping components around, otherwise, you're going to need some more advanced diagnosis.

• iveyyam450f

Posted August 18, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Did you ever figure out the problem? Mine seems to do the same.

• drtrcr400

Posted August 19, 2012 - 09:43 AM

Have you checked your kill switch? I had the exact same problem, WOT and it would just completely die. Not cool when you on a night ride and your helmet light battery is almost dead. When I got home I pulled the kill switch apart and it was packed with dirt and mud. The tiny spring that holds the contacts apart was corroded to the point that it was almost non-existant causing the contacts to close slightly and intermittently. I trashed it and got a replacement from Rocky Mountain. Surprisingly, quality was almost as good as oem. It did have the same plug which was a nice bonus and it was only a fraction of what the oem part cost.
For a simple test just unplug your old one, I bet your problem goes away. Just be aware that if you unplug it you'd only have 1 way of shutting off your bike.

• thumpinberry

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:14 AM

change your throttle position sensor

• iveyyam450f

Posted August 22, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I tried the killed switch and it still occured. What is the reasoning for throwing a TPS at it. Have you had a problem with the TPS on your Yamaha?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpinberry

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:44 AM

i have had to replace one and 2 other people i know have also.

• Emiliano

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:37 AM

I have the same exact problem on my 2010, I cheched inyector, cables, pump, and its a pain, I´m thinking about selling it and get a 2 smoke, it´s a pain in the ass.
The bike when is running Ok is OWSOME but I dont know what else to do.
Any luck?

• stroker101

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:55 AM

" What is the reasoning for throwing a TPS at it. "

i had an issue w/ my 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI with performance related issue's regarding throttle position. using the "POD", it allow's the tech to look at the voltage of the TPS and it's range's (closed throttle / open throttle). even though the range was within spec, the TPS was still defective.
i changed it out and this thing runs like a scaldded dog. not saying that your TPS is indeed the issue, but maybe try swapping it with a know working TPS.

hope you get this figured out amigo

• Emiliano

Posted August 29, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks, I´m gonna clean my TPS sensor, i just came from my dealer and got a new injector, but they don´t have the TPS. Hope that works

• crf450319

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:57 AM

A buddy of mine had his TPS fail as well (2011 yz450), would bog randomly... Swapped his with another one and problem solved.

• iveyyam450f

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:05 AM

I guess Ill try a TPS. I removed it and bench tested it and tests fine. I hope it works for the of them.

• iveyyam450f

Posted October 01, 2012 - 02:00 PM

OK. I bought a new TPS and it did it first ride. It did it in the same place on the track two laps in a row. It occured on a place on the track where I hit a small jump, land WOT into hard kicker. As I land still WOT to go down a straight away, it just falls on its face and almost throws me over the bars. Not fun.

• jnabuurs

Posted December 08, 2012 - 01:46 AM

I have the same problem on mine tested everything it feels like sometimes the fuel tank is empty but it isn't and it mostly happens on jump landings the last thing I will try is to connect a pressure tool to the fuel line to see iff the pressure drops because the problem gets worse so it's easier to find.

• iveyyam450f

Posted December 10, 2012 - 02:19 PM

That sounds like what is occuring on mine. Its also happened in whoops and I think its only at wot. I tried a fuel pressure tester in line and it was always with in specs but I was not able to duplicate the problem with the fuel pressure tester inline. I suspect the lean angle sensor in the cdi is causing the problem. I havent been riden lately but i am going to try to swap my cdi with one of my buddys or possibly buy an aftermarket from Yoshimura or Bazzaz.

• Monk

Posted December 10, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Plugged injector......

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.