WR450F "magic button"

10 replies to this topic
  • MY-BLUE-BEAST

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Alright, I havent really complained and it still starts the bike, but when I see people using their electric starts they have the bike start as soon as they touch it. Mine starts in about 3 seconds after I touch it when the started starts to work. So whats going on? It does start the bike, but if I could make it better that would be nice.

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Have you checked/adjusted your lifters lately?

• MY-BLUE-BEAST

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Have you checked/adjusted your lifters lately?

I have not. I guess i should, but i will have to try that later when i get the other bikes done. Thanks

• tribalbc

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:12 PM

There's a blue/white wire at the CDI to disconnect. With the wire connected the bike only fires on every third cycle when using the electric start on a WR. Do a search in the WR450 forum.

• supergper

Posted December 17, 2011 - 09:40 PM

I'd say check your valves. Even with the wire connected, you should still be starting quicker than that. It could also be attributed to proper jetting, how clean your jets/carb are, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MY-BLUE-BEAST

Posted December 17, 2011 - 10:14 PM

My valves are fine, it kick starts like a champ When it's all warmed up, the e start is just nice for tight situations. And I go through and clean my carb twice a summer, and for the rest of the rides I use injector cleaner.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 18, 2011 - 04:13 AM

tribalbc, Please stop telling people about the Blue/White wire disconnect! I know, I know, you told me, but My-Blue-Beast lives in South Dakota and that's getting dangerously close to Montana. I don't need anyone else getting holeshots during the race season!!!:bonk::thumbsup: Maniac

• Sknight

Posted December 18, 2011 - 09:27 AM

It's designed that way. Letting the starter come to full speed before the ignition fires helps it start better and is easier on the starting system. In short there's nothing wrong with it but if you have it tuned properly and keep it that way (Building your carbs twice a year sounds like you have it in hand.) then disabling that won't hurt anything.

As tribal said, if you disable the blue/white wire he mentioned you're killing the estart indicator to the CDI. It'll fire every time the engine comes around.

• MY-BLUE-BEAST

Posted December 18, 2011 - 09:38 AM

It's designed that way. Letting the starter come to full speed before the ignition fires helps it start better and is easier on the starting system. In short there's nothing wrong with it but if you have it tuned properly and keep it that way (Building your carbs twice a year sounds like you have it in hand.) then disabling that won't hurt anything.

As tribal said, if you disable the blue/white wire he mentioned you're killing the estart indicator to the CDI. It'll fire every time the engine comes around.

cool thanks, im going to keep it as it is, it has never failed me why fix it. I don't like the sound of setting something off before it has a chance, not letting stuff get up to speed can cause some serious injuries... If the poor bastards in wood shop and metal shop have taught me anything haha. Thanks again.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 18, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Have you (or anyone else) replaced the stock idle mixture screw on the carb with a finger-adjustable aftermarket one?

Some adjustment to the idle mixture can make a huge difference in how easy your bike starts.

Another problem I've seen is when the idle mixture screw is replaced, there is a spring, a tiny washer, and an o-ring that goes with the mixture screw. If the washer or o-ring is missing or damaged, it will affect the idle mixture and how easy the bike starts.

• MY-BLUE-BEAST

Posted December 18, 2011 - 12:30 PM

yeah I got a mixture screw, i still have the o ring and everything.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.