CR80 - Which sprocket?

28 replies to this topic
  • 2strokes4me

Posted December 15, 2011 - 12:59 AM

Just picked up a 1996 CR80. It hits a little harder than I want for the inexperienced person who will be riding it.

I plan on putting on a FWW and also a mxbonz torque plate, which should help some with trail riding ... but also want to gear it down a notch, and I'm not sure whether to go down one in front to a 14T or up three in the rear to a 52T sprocket?

(The chain and sprockets are new, so switching out only one sprocket will be fine. Of course the front sprocket is cheaper, but I want to go the best route, and if changing out the front works fine then I will go that route.)

Thanks for any help with this.
Joe.

• frdbtr

Posted December 15, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Just picked up a 1996 CR80. It hits a little harder than I want for the inexperienced person who will be riding it.

I plan on putting on a FWW and also a mxbonz torque plate, which should help some with trail riding ... but also want to gear it down a notch, and I'm not sure whether to go down one in front to a 14T or up three in the rear to a 52T sprocket?

(The chain and sprockets are new, so switching out only one sprocket will be fine. Of course the front sprocket is cheaper, but I want to go the best route, and if changing out the front works fine then I will go that route.)

Thanks for any help with this.
Joe.

Gearing it lower will make it hit even harder. I would try the fww and mxbonz spacer first and see what that does.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 18, 2011 - 02:41 AM

Yeah, it will make the hit come sooner, I get that ... the purpose for gearing it "lower" is to make the idle creep-speed lower, which is what I'm after by gearing it lower. Be able to creep thru technical sections better.

The FWW is to address the transition of the hit, and reduce stalling.

The bonz plate is to give the soft bottom end of this CR80 a little more torque.

Anyhow, so 56 people opened this link and only one person replied?
... AWESOME!

What, do people see a thread asking a sprocket question for a CR80, open it and then decide afterwards they know nothing about sprocket setups on a CR80???? This is not isolated to TT, see this sort of thing on all types of forums, wth? Few days later and the same question remains.

• frdbtr

Posted December 18, 2011 - 07:54 AM

I would do 14 on the front. Cheaper.

15/52 combo = final drive of 3.46
14/48 combo = final drive of 3.42 (or 3.43 depending if you want to round up the numbers)

You won't notice the difference.

• SandMantis

Posted December 18, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Anyhow, so 56 people opened this link and only one person replied?
... AWESOME! What, do people see a thread asking a sprocket question for a CR80, open it and then decide afterwards they know nothing about sprocket setups on a CR80???? This is not isolated to TT, see this sort of thing on all types of forums, wth? Few days later and the same question remains.

You only posted 7 times, and you are already complaining about not getting your questions answered promptly?

This is a discussion forum, not "customer support".

And to be honest, most people are reading your post and wondering why you don't just sell that CR80 and buy a CRF150.
Seems like you have the wrong bike, and you are trying to "rig" it so it does what you want it to do.
If you don't want a hard-hitting race bike, then get a mellow 4-stroker.

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the TT forums.

:bonk:

• hardhitwarrior

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:48 PM

i hate to admit it but actually the OP is right.

once someone ask about a lower CC bike, it doesnt seem to interest ppl alot. im not talking about here on TT alone, but almost all the forums out on the net.

i like to help ppl out even though how small a bike is. not just coz i have cr80 too but its still nice to help ppl out when i do know how to solve the problem.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 21, 2011 - 04:15 AM

I would do 14 on the front. Cheaper.

15/52 combo = final drive of 3.46
14/48 combo = final drive of 3.42 (or 3.43 depending if you want to round up the numbers)

You won't notice the difference.

Thanks man, I just wanted to make sure going with the smaller sprocket up front wasn't going to substantially reduce the life of the chain, or other issues that might have occurred ... like for example, increased rubbing issues, or losing the chain more frequently, or anything of this nature, but if swapping the front out will not give any issues, then I'm all in.

Edited by 2strokes4me, December 21, 2011 - 04:41 AM.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 21, 2011 - 04:26 AM

You only posted 7 times, and you are already complaining about not getting your questions answered promptly?

This is a discussion forum, not "customer support".

And to be honest, most people are reading your post and wondering why you don't just sell that CR80 and buy a CRF150.
Seems like you have the wrong bike, and you are trying to "rig" it so it does what you want it to do.
If you don't want a hard-hitting race bike, then get a mellow 4-stroker.

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the TT forums.

I only have 7 posts because I just recently joined this site, and actually have a life outside of just sitting in front of a monitor on TT all day. Imagine that.

I'm not "complaining" about the lack of a "prompt" answer, I'm annoyed because 56 people took the time to open the post, yet only 1 person answered ... I don't open technical threads unless I intend to reply, even if the info is only as helpful as yours, as in, not helpful at all.

Sure, I could go buy a 4 stroke, but I'm not interested in 4 strokes ... I prefer everything about 2 strokes, just a preference.

The goal here is not to make a 2 stroke into a 4 stroke, the goal is to make the bike better suited to the tracks and trails we have here, plus with the experience level of the rider, it is better to have a smoother transition of power, and less stalling. Yet, when configured properly the bike will be well suited, and still go BRAAAAAP. Something some 4 stroke guys just don't get. Not to mention you can't pull the flywheel weight off a CRF150 and turn it into a 2-stroke.

Sad I have to explain this to the post-count police. :smirk:

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 21, 2011 - 04:39 AM

i hate to admit it but actually the OP is right.

once someone ask about a lower CC bike, it doesnt seem to interest ppl alot. im not talking about here on TT alone, but almost all the forums out on the net.

i like to help ppl out even though how small a bike is. not just coz i have cr80 too but its still nice to help ppl out when i do know how to solve the problem.

I can understand that people are not interested in smaller CC bikes, they have that right, but I was hoping more CR80 owners would have seen and replied, but instead got 56 people window shopping a simple thread: CR80- sprockets. If you're not capable of helping on either account, then keep walkin'. :bonk:

• frdbtr

Posted December 21, 2011 - 06:00 AM

Thanks man, I just wanted to make sure going with the smaller sprocket up front wasn't going to substantially reduce the life of the chain, or other issues that might have occurred ... like for example, increased rubbing issues, or losing the chain more frequently, or anything of this nature, but if swapping the front out will not give any issues, then I'm all in.

That is one nice thing about the 80's is they use a 15 tooth front stock so a 14 tooth is not going to put excessive bend on the chain and wear it faster. I use a 12 tooth on my 450 when I am in the tight stuff (temporarily) and haven't had any problems with it. The bad thing about the 80's is the stupid 420 chain they use. That thing is just about as disposable as you can get. It stretches on every ride. I haven't found one yet that can hold up to the stress that the 80 motor puts on it, and have not yet found a 428 conversion kit for the 80 either. Anyway, good luck. One last tip. If you really want to add some low end torque for the bike, have Eric Gorr do his 105cc big bore kit on it with a low/mid port. You will have small bore 2 stroke that has all the low end torque of an xr100 and all the top end power of the CR80. Makes it an amazing little bike.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 22, 2011 - 03:54 PM

That is one nice thing about the 80's is they use a 15 tooth front stock so a 14 tooth is not going to put excessive bend on the chain and wear it faster. I use a 12 tooth on my 450 when I am in the tight stuff (temporarily) and haven't had any problems with it. The bad thing about the 80's is the stupid 420 chain they use. That thing is just about as disposable as you can get. It stretches on every ride. I haven't found one yet that can hold up to the stress that the 80 motor puts on it, and have not yet found a 428 conversion kit for the 80 either. Anyway, good luck. One last tip. If you really want to add some low end torque for the bike, have Eric Gorr do his 105cc big bore kit on it with a low/mid port. You will have small bore 2 stroke that has all the low end torque of an xr100 and all the top end power of the CR80. Makes it an amazing little bike.

Great post ... thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!! :bonk:

• SandMantis

Posted December 22, 2011 - 05:08 PM

I told you you wouldn't like what I had to say.

And you still continue to describe a CRF150 as the bike you want, except for the fact that you "like" 2-strokes.

We all "like" 2-strokes, but they don't behave like a 4-stroke.

Best of both worlds would be a CRF150R.
( That one rips, but still acts like you describe. )

Hey, monkey around with that 80 all you want. It's your bike, and your life!
Not trying to tell anyone what to do.

And for the record.... a smaller front sprocket usually wears the chain slider out faster. Just saying.

Good luck.

• frdbtr

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:07 AM

And you still continue to describe a CRF150 as the bike you want, except for the fact that you "like" 2-strokes.

And for the record.... a smaller front sprocket usually wears the chain slider out faster. Just saying.

Good luck.

Couple things. You don't need a 150r to do what he wants to do. There are reasons that an 80 will work just fine. My 2001 cr80 will work ANY 150 in a straight line and is just fine in the woods with the bb kit and low/mid porting with the fww. You can put it around like a 4 stroke all day and then when you twist the throttle it goes like a bat out of hell. All for less then half the price of a used 150r and nearly 50lbs lighter. Small bore 2 strokes can be used to trail ride, I used my 86 cr80 for trail riding when I was a kid and it made me a better rider because I had to be more aggressive to be able to trail it. If a fellow 2 stroke lover wants to train up a younger rider on a 2 stroke, I am not sure why you are flaming him for it.

• tomyz450

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:28 AM

I opened your thread,and have nothing to add to it:lol::bonk::lol::smirk::lol:

• zlathim

Posted December 23, 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'm not "complaining" about the lack of a "prompt" answer, I'm annoyed because 56 people took the time to open the post, yet only 1 person answered ... I don't open technical threads unless I intend to reply, even if the info is only as helpful as yours, as in, not helpful at all.

I open technical threads that I don't intend to respond to all the time. I do it to learn. Just because I have nothing to offer the thread, doesn't mean the thread has nothing to offer to me.:bonk:

• KcDavis

Posted December 23, 2011 - 11:35 AM

actually have a life outside of just sitting in front of a monitor on TT all day. Imagine that.

And this goes both ways. The people you are wanting answers from have the same thing going on. :banana:

I open technical threads that I don't intend to respond to all the time. I do it to learn. Just because I have nothing to offer the thread, doesn't mean the thread has nothing to offer to me.:bonk:

And here is the rest of the answer to your problem with the lurkers with nothing to offer you. :smirk:

• zlathim

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:07 PM

And here is the rest of the answer to your problem with the lurkers with nothing to offer you. :bonk:

Lurker is a little strong doncha think brah?:smirk:

:banana::p:p

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 24, 2011 - 03:58 AM

:smirk:

Good luck.

You're quite good at predicting what people will and will not "like" to hear, but that skill really lacks any talent ... sort of like people who ride 4 strokes. :bonk:

A CRF150 is NOT the bike I am describing. I am describing a bike which fires on the second stroke of the piston, weighs much less, costs less, doesn't use a valvetrain, and requires fewer cc's to make comparable power.

I have bought a few bikes in my life and they all required a few tweaks here and there to get them how I wanted them. My '09 R1 needed a -1, +1 configuration to get the crossplane engine where it was ideal for street use ... my '09 Roadliner required a +6 rear Harley pulley and a new drive belt to gear it right.

Some solutions in life are as simple as a minor cog swap, not a complete reinvention of the wheel. Thanks for your insight on the chain slider, I'll keep an eye on that, although from how it looks the increased wear will likely be marginal.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 24, 2011 - 04:06 AM

All for less then half the price of a used 150r and nearly 50lbs lighter. Small bore 2 strokes can be used to trail ride, I used my 86 cr80 for trail riding when I was a kid and it made me a better rider because I had to be more aggressive to be able to trail it. If a fellow 2 stroke lover wants to train up a younger rider on a 2 stroke, I am not sure why you are flaming him for it.

Maybe he saw a low post count and assumed I was fresh-meat in his little TT prison? ... But I'm more like an inmate transfered from another prison and quite savvy to the game. There are always people who talk a lot just to hear themselves talk ... and help very little ... I should know, I'm one. :bonk:

Good points, exactly why I went this route. I love the simplicity and nature of a 2-stroke, and the weight savings for a weak person is more substantial than it appears. At 6'3" and 210lbs, 50lbs doesn't mean much, but to smaller riders it is substantial.

• 2strokes4me

Posted December 24, 2011 - 04:14 AM

I opened your thread,and have nothing to add to it:lol::smirk::lol::banana::lol:

The fact you live in Minnesota added more joy to my life than you realize!!! :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone know what kind of lever this is by shatteredclutch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

oil seals 1990 cr250 wont seat by allenbstoney

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Last generation cr250s by hondaman331

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.