Anyone Add a Keyed Ignition to their WR426?

11 replies to this topic
  • chrisbertaut

Posted December 14, 2011 - 10:11 PM

I'm looking to convert my 01' WR426 into a dual sport and I want to add a keyed ignition switch to it, have any of you done this before? Did you just take the kill switch and make it keyed? Any other ideas for making it difficult to hot wire? I was thinking it would be nice to add a steering lock as well, but haven't seen anything on them.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:02 AM

I put one on mine. Pretty easy to do. And there is lots of information on here about how to do it. Just do a search and you'll find everything you need. Maniac

• cherrypicker7

Posted December 15, 2011 - 06:02 AM

Got a switch from SAR, Sicass Racing mounts right up on a handlebar mount and I connected it to the kill switch wiring. This is on a newer 05 WR, so the ignition still has to be energized, but you can pull the key and it won't start.

• chrisbertaut

Posted December 15, 2011 - 01:16 PM

maniac, I'm usually pretty good at searching out these sites but I guess I don't have the hang of this one yet as it seems to pull up all types of bikes. When you put yours in did you just do a two wire switch and tie it into the kill switch? or did you wire it into something else? Mine is a kick start only bike, no starter or battery.

• jcbikes

Posted December 15, 2011 - 03:03 PM

On my 2002 WR426, I just tapped into the kill switch where it connects to the harness and put in a toggle switch that is hidden. Bike cannot be started and its easy and cheap to do. Better than dealing with a key as far as I am concerned.

• bcollins82

Posted December 15, 2011 - 04:18 PM

I used a switch for a warrior 4wheeler on my 426. It comes with 4 wires, two that connect when the key is turned on (to switch on your accessories) and 2 that disconnect when the switch is turned, wire your kill switch wires to those so the circuit opens so you can start the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Chris, Mine is the WR with electric start. So the method used would be different then yours. As far as the search function goes, if you use the one located in the WR forum, it will limit all of the threads to just the Yamaha WR's. That should help. Good luck!!! Maniac

• chrisbertaut

Posted December 16, 2011 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the help, I got it working.

• Stealth13

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:17 AM

How do I do this with electric start? 2006 wr450

• riderrace

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I was wondering the same thing... Figured the manual decompression would keep the majority of idiots from riding it off. Haha.

On my 2002 WR426, I just tapped into the kill switch where it connects to the harness and put in a toggle switch that is hidden. Bike cannot be started and its easy and cheap to do. Better than dealing with a key as far as I am concerned.

I was debating doing this when I did all of my dual sport wiring. Where did you hide the toggle? I thought under the seat (accessible from one of the grab handles) would be trick.

• jcbikes

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:08 AM

I hid the toggle under the tank above the carburetor on the kickstarter side. you can not see it when the kick starter is in its place.

• byggd

Posted December 20, 2011 - 03:43 PM

My 426 is plated so I added one from DB. It just taps into the kill switch wiring. You can see the key on the right side of the picture.
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.