How tight do you tighten your rim locks?

3 replies to this topic
  • ur2silly

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:41 PM

I just changed the rear tire on my '07 WR450. Not sure how tight I need to make the rim locks. I looked in the manual and that is the only torque setting that's not in there anywhere I could find.

Obvisously I want them tight enough where the tire don't slip on the rim but I'm worried about over tightening them. They are made of what looks to be cast aluminum and I'm afraid that if I go too tight the bolt will break right out of the center of them.

So, how tight should I go with 'em?

• Buckwheat816

Posted December 14, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Not too tight, just very snug. That's what I have always done and never had one slip. I think you have two on the rear wheel like mine which is overkill anyway IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BDubb106

Posted December 14, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yep just snug them down. I cut a wrench in half just for rim locks when Im in a hurry on race day. Shortening the wrench took all the leverage out of it and made it so I can only snug them down. Overtightening will eventually wollow out the holes.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:43 PM

The right way is snug them down,ride it than re snug them down/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.