linkage maintenance

1 reply to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 26, 2001 - 03:47 AM

I just cleaned and greased my linkage for the first time last night (about 10-15 hours on the bike). Good thing I did, one of the dust seals where the linkage attaches to the swing arm was all folded up on one side. Has anyone else had this happen (I'm wondering if it left the factory like this)?

Anyway, there has got to be a better way to do this! Do you guys have any tips? Does anyone tear it down, put it in a bucket of solvent to clean it and then regrease and reassemble? Will this hurth the aluminum or rubber parts?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted July 27, 2001 - 11:59 PM

Sounds like that seal was dry and was in a bind that caused it to fold up like that. Yamaha is notorious for under greasing these areas from the factory. I'm very glad now that I tore the bike down as soon as I got it home and carefully greased and torqued everything before riding it. Mineral spirits would probably be the best choice for doing a thorough cleaning before regreasing and reassembling. Just take your time and wipe everything down with clean rags after using the spirits. If you don't, you'll get that spooging grease that will make a mess and you won't get maximum lubrication protection.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.