2006 WR450 restoration ideas

30 replies to this topic
  • redhurricane

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:44 PM

I'm tearing into my 06 WR450 this weekend. Have you used Race Day Performance? They are about 15 min east of me. I have stock suspension with a yamalink and correct rear spring but thinking correct valving and fork springs would be nice. also curious what are the jets in your carb?

RDP has not responded to my email and I have not made a lot of effort to call them. I decided to buy race tech gold valves and install myself and just have someone add nitrogen when I am done.

I have new wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, pivot bearings and head tube bearings coming.

As for jetting, I don't remember what is in there now, but I do know that I am very happy with where it is at for 9000' and up.

Also, performance upgrades on power are not necessary for what I need. Bike has enough power to get me into trouble as it is. Maybe after some seat time with my fresh top end and new suspension i will change my mind. I have about everything I need for parts, now just need to get the powder coating done and I can start the installation process. I will say this, the white plastics with retro graphics are unbelievable.

• swolf

Posted December 31, 2011 - 10:41 AM

I also decided to do my own suspension with racetech stuff :bonk: at least the forks for now. White plactics would look sweet, get some pics up!

• Charles De Mar

Posted January 01, 2012 - 12:46 PM

MY '06 ran better with a yz needle, quick shot cover and a different leak jet,.:bonk:

• redhurricane

Posted January 06, 2012 - 02:15 PM

teaser pictures as promised

original piston from 5-1/2 years of abuse, still looks pretty good and just barely out of tolerance on the skirt
Posted Image

Posted Image

Frame, hubs, rims all sandblasted and now off at the powder coater. they are charging me $275 to do it all, including a phosphorous bath before coating AND taping off every hole including all threaded holes so I should have zero re-work to rebuild. Also clear coating after powder coating. Really impressed with the amount of work they are doing for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

shroud graphics on white plastics. Had to scrub my natural tank quite a bit to get the yellow off and close to "natural" again.

Posted Image

New gold valve and shim stack on the shock

Posted Image

waiting on front .50 springs to arrive so i can rebuild the forks

Posted Image

frame and hubs should be back mid next week, top end is coming today so i can close up the engine portion this weekend. Waiting on shock seal head. Goal is to have wheels laced by next weekend and most of the bike back together.

• Bandit9

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:37 PM

You doing lacing and truing?

I just got my new Excel rim and spoke kit in today. Going to give it a shot doing it myself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Also what do the new tank graphics look like?

• redhurricane

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:01 PM

I am in fact lacing and truing my own stuff. Many years ago I was building custom road bicycles and have not laced and trued since about 1990 so it'll be a refresher course for me. I bought a tusk truing stand for about $60 online, if you don't have one and can't send it to a shop to have them true and balance not a bad way to go unless you make a jig out of 2x4's. The tank graphics are an extension of the shroud design, once I get things back together a little more I will snap some shots. Rear fender is mounted up to the sub-frame and my 13:1 piston kit showed up about an hour ago. Tomorrow is a day with the kids, but Sunday afternoon i am gong for it with the engine work. Gotta go, the brown truck just pulled up to the house.....

• redhurricane

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:02 PM

You doing lacing and truing?

I just got my new Excel rim and spoke kit in today. Going to give it a shot doing it myself.

take good measurements of your offset and spoke direction (inner and outer direction, and which side is "pull" and which is not) If you have not laced before, take a good picture or 3 of the original setup and use as a reference. :smirk:

• redhurricane

Posted January 14, 2012 - 12:25 PM

so I need to repost the pics lost before the conversion.....

mocked up the subframe/seat/tank

Posted Image

frame back from powder caoting, started putting everything back together

Posted Image

Pretty sure I am losing the yellow race tech stickers

Posted Image

Powder caoting came out PERFECT on everything. Thanks again to Complete Powder Coat and Paint in Denver

Posted Image

Posted Image

Going to paint the headlight shroud with Krylon Fuzion gloss white

Posted Image

Love how the wheels came out, and the pro-wheel spoke kit is top quality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New Garmin 610 Rino and ram Mount

Posted Image

Top end, timing chain, and all new suspension care of race tech. can't wait toi go ride it, first ride is not going to be for a while still as we are covered in snow.

• swolf

Posted January 14, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Looks awesome! Mine is close too... Maybe IMI will dry up enough by next weekend. Did you try the Racetech stickers on the forks?

• Charles De Mar

Posted January 14, 2012 - 02:54 PM

now go scratch the crap out off it with a big grin!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.