2006 WR450 restoration ideas

30 replies to this topic
  • redhurricane

Posted December 14, 2011 - 10:29 AM

I have decided to dig into my 2006 Wr450 this winter and give it some much needed love. Suspension is going off to Race Day Performance, a local suspension guy. Possibly going to powder coat the frame and maybe hubs since I am re-spoking both wheels. Almost decided to buy a pre-laced black excel set but my stock rims are straight and realized that I could get WAAAY out of control financially if I bought all the things I wanted to for the bike- wheels being a big chunk of that money. Performance is first priority, so in addition to suspension upgrades I am going to tear into the top end and inspect. If needed, new piston kit and timing chain. If things are beyond a basic top end I am considering a 478CC kit but that is significant money so I am reluctant. I am on the original top end (5 years of steady use) and still on the original valve adjustment. Bike still feels strong. Carb is dialed in so no changes will be made there. While the engine is out of the frame, going to inspect/replace pivot points anywhere and everywhere. My Christmas gift from the wife is new UFO white plastics and graphics, so cosmetically it will be a vast improvement. Already added a high output stator, and HID lighting. No interest in a rekluse.

With all of that being said, what other mods/upgrades would you do if it were your bike? Looking for things I might be missing that would be worth doing while its all torn down. Project starts Jan 1st, I have a couple weeks off before I start my new job on the 16th so I'd like to have an efficient plan of attack and order what I need in advance if possible.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 14, 2011 - 02:02 PM

Timing chain would be on my list of replacements, whether or not it needed it. Cheap insurance! Everything else, you've seemed to cover already. Maybe some extra tires for in the future, that way there already on hand. Maniac

• redhurricane

Posted December 14, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Timing chain for sure. Have a set of tires for all the bikes coming. Also a braided front brake line. Stocker is wearing on the side that rubs the hoop on the triple clamp.

Decided that I am going to powder coat the frame, hubs and rims all black. Bought a pro wheel spoke set for front and rear and new wheel bearings.

• tucker78

Posted December 14, 2011 - 03:27 PM

I hope you plan on keeping this for a long time. It's gonna cost considerable money to bring it back if it's really that rough. And when it comes to resale... The closer they are to stock oem, the more they bring. Even very low hour examples can be had for short money there days.

• redhurricane

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:07 PM

I hope you plan on keeping this for a long time. It's gonna cost considerable money to bring it back if it's really that rough. And when it comes to resale... The closer they are to stock oem, the more they bring. Even very low hour examples can be had for short money there days.

Bike isn't going anywhere, and its not in bad shape either. As mentioned, still at factory spec (albeit at the outer limits) on valve clearance after 5 years of heavy use. Need a winter project and this all started with suspension work which is long overdue. I've been flogging the stock suspension since new in August 2006. I am 185 without gear and undersprung.

not worried about resale, although I still have the OEM tank and exhaust in new condition that I may ebay at some point down the road.

Posted Image

So I started getting ideas, and it just grew from there. it'll be very different looking when finished, and freshened up in the process. I have a couple spoke nipples that are seized, so re-lacing the wheels is just something I planned on doing anyway. While its all apart I figured a trip to the powder coater would be good. you can see where this becomes infectious.

Basically I was just looking for other people's ideas on what to replace while I have it all apart. Bottom end is fine so I won't be splitting the cases but the timing chain, piston/rings, etc are a definite possibility.

• The Hopper Show

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:02 PM

stock header? i need one if you have it?

• MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:06 AM

Are you sure you can get the hubs and rims powdercoated? I would think that the powdercoating would be too thick, and that you'll never be able to reinstall the spokes, as the holes will be to small. Maniac

• redhurricane

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:42 AM

the pro-wheel spoke kit is oversized as it is, the nipple size is the same though. Planned on doing a little machining work to the hub before powder coating. Everything will get a test fit before coating, and the coater should be able to give me the coating thickness tolerance.

• tucker78

Posted December 15, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Looks like you have an amazing place to ride.:bonk: I sure wish i could say the same. :smirk:

• redhurricane

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Looks like you have an amazing place to ride.:bonk: I sure wish i could say the same. :smirk:

Pic was taken at the Paiutes in Utah, there's no riding to speak of here in Colorado. :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:30 PM

Have you inspected the clutch plates?

If this is the first suspension work you will have done, you are in for a big treat. Suspension is the biggest weakness on this bike. First thing I did to my 2nd hand WR was revalve, and I'm still tweaking 2 years later. Haven't touched the motor or exhaust but I have replaced the rear rim and spokes. I'm due for a top end and clutch inspection.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Pic was taken at the Paiutes in Utah, there's no riding to speak of here in Colorado. :bonk:

Wow! You must live in the wrong half of Colorado.

• 2grimjim

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Here's some reliability upgrades if you plan on adding displacement with a big bore kit;

'07 YFZ clutch cover, 5D3-15431-00-00
O-ring, 93210-05098-00
Cooling jet, 5D3-15155-00-00
Gasket, 5TG-15462-02-00
Oil pump, 5D3-13300-00-00

These parts will add a piston cooling jet to your bike like the '06+ YZ's and '07+ WR's

• redhurricane

Posted December 21, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Wow! You must live in the wrong half of Colorado.

It was sarcasm, trying to keep the riff raff out. :bonk:

Haven't pulled the bike apart yet, planning on starting in about a week or so. Bought white UFO plastics and a retro graphic kit, race tech springs (.48 forks and 5.6 shock)

Excited to start this, bike will be a lot different cosmetically and really refreshed mechanically. I am on the fence on the race tech gold valves, not sure on whether or not to go that route internally.

Pretty sure the big bore idea is off the table, just want to stick with the stone reliable bike that I have had all these years.

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 21, 2011 - 09:20 AM

It was sarcasm, trying to keep the riff raff out. :bonk:

Haven't pulled the bike apart yet, planning on starting in about a week or so. Bought white UFO plastics and a retro graphic kit, race tech springs (.48 forks and 5.6 shock)

Excited to start this, bike will be a lot different cosmetically and really refreshed mechanically. I am on the fence on the race tech gold valves, not sure on whether or not to go that route internally.

Pretty sure the big bore idea is off the table, just want to stick with the stone reliable bike that I have had all these years.

I'm a big fan of the original yamaha motor engineers.:smirk: How about carb updates? adjustable leak jet? needles? those kind of things can keep it running crisp.

• redhurricane

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Ok so I finally tore into it yesterday and today. bike is in pieces in the garage, some of the process took a lot of time. I know this has been said many times over, but NEVER FORGET TO GREASE THE SWINGARM/PIVOT LINKAGE BUSHINGS REGULARLY!!!!! I replaced all the pivot bearings this past season except for the swingarm bolt. I should have done that at the same time. Seized in the swingarm with no intentions of breaking free after PB Blaster, heat, air chisel, 5lb sledge and a drift. So I cut it out.

Frame is stripped bare, and ready for sandblasting and powder coating. Pulled the top end off, cylinder is in excellent shape after 5 hard years of use, piston is just barely outside service range on the skirt. rings also just barely outside service limits. I am impressed.

So I ordered the following:

Replacement swingarm bolt/nut off ebay, $7
New 95mm piston kit with gaskets
OEM Yamaha timing chain
pivot works swingarm bearings
UFO plastics showed up a few days ago as well as the new graphics
Polisport fork leg guards
OEM yamaha side covers
new braided front brake line
factory effex seat cover
race tech springs front and rear for my weight
race tech gold valves front and rear
ram mount for my new Garmin Rino 610
pro wheel spoke kit (rims and hubs going off with the frame to get powder coated)
wheel bearings front and rear

Going to take tires off tomorrow and cut the spokes out.

Subframe and all other related parts removed are going to get a thorough cleaning/polishing while parts are gone at the powder coater. Swingarm needs scratches polished out of it and a serious cleaning around the shock hole. All cables are going to get lubed before re-installation.

I will post pictures in a few days of the progress.

• Bandit9

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I'm in the same spot. To invest into my 06WR or sell it and get the 2012 or maybe even a low hour 07+. Frame stretch is a concern of mine. No evidence that it exists, but wouldn't need to worry about it with an 07+.

Interested in how your frame turns out.

Yeah....you are r
eally gonna be happy once you feel the rebuilt suspension. Are you doing the revalve yourself? I've done that before. It was better, but now I know better and have a pro do it. Make sure to replace all the bushings and I would get new shims too. It's going to ugly up in there.......I've got my 06 WR450 handling pretty good. I can pretty much ride it pretty hard and aggressive and attack stuff instead of trying to avoid stuff. I don't look for roots or small rocks anymore. I'm looking a lot further done the trail. I don't even have the stabilizer on it either. Bike is underrated in my opinion. Suspension is not where I pinch pennies. I'm looking at 3 sets of YZ 450 SSS forks for my bike now on fleabag.. I have a YZ250 with those forks and they are pretty damn good.

I'm like you with the puss Auto Clutch, so how about a hydraulic clutch?

Also, How about the Yzf exhuast cam?

Fast way foot pegs?

For a about $400 more bucks you can really add a lot of performance with those additions.

• swolf

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:23 PM

I'm tearing into my 06 WR450 this weekend. Have you used Race Day Performance? They are about 15 min east of me. I have stock suspension with a yamalink and correct rear spring but thinking correct valving and fork springs would be nice. also curious what are the jets in your carb?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 30, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Last year, I tore into my 05 after years and years of hard riding and some definite abuse by me and others I loaned it to.

Surprisingly, it just needed a piston. The valves were still good. While I was at it, I put in a new timing chain. Don't mess with the valves if you don't have to. I had an estimated 8K miles on mine and simply put that same head back on and it fired right up.

Be sure to remove the triple clamps and replace those bearings. That bottom bearing is usually pretty darn rusty from washing. Change your wheel bearings and grease/replace those linkage bearings. If your swing arm bolt was rusted, those linkage bearings may be shot as well.

I am proud to say that I resisted a rekluse for a long time. Then I got over it and put one in the bike. Jeez... what the hell was I waiting for? Next time, I buy that first!

Oh, my next time around I am going to go for the cams and/or the high compression piston. The bike needs just a little more snap off the bottom. I will couple that with a shorter throw throttle and it will be good.

• MaxPower

Posted December 30, 2011 - 10:54 AM

The cam is worth the money.Very worth it.
I bought one of those carb wings. Had my doubts but I really could feel a diffrence in response when I snapped the throttle.
An hour meter is a good idea
I found a Athena wireless hour meter on the Black Ops Moto site. I thought that was a great idea, just stick it on. No wires,nothing
A Ti spring from a YZ will save a good amount of weight. So will one of those trick new batteries
I use a Rekluse adjustable front axle to help my bike turn. Changed the feel of the bike more than I would think

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.