Gas mileage

17 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:53 AM

What can I expect to get from my 06 wr 450? Wondering mainly how far I can cruise on the stock tank for city /highWay driving .

Also can anyone recommend me gearing for what I'm doing with the bike ?

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:59 AM

My 07 450 only gets 30-35mpg,I would run 15-40 for street.

• Stealth13

Posted December 14, 2011 - 10:25 AM

What is stock gearing on mine? I'm
Still confused as what to get for it. I would like it to top out around 180 so I can cruise at 120 without being hard on the engine . Would that sound reasonable ?

• MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:17 AM

A bunch of us just got back from Baja, where we did a fair amount of highway riding between singletrack days. We all have WR450's, and we used 15/50 gearing. My '06 WR450 comes with 14/50 gearing, so all I had to do was throw a bigger countershaft on it. It cruises at 70mph (115km) no problem, and the engine is at 7000rpm's at that speed. And with that gearing, the bike still loves the tight singletrack! Win-Win!!! Maniac

• Sknight

Posted December 15, 2011 - 06:38 AM

My '04 model gets about 35MPG also, factory gearing also. I've never run mine to reserve but I usually fill up at 70ish miles.

• Stealth13

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:24 AM

A bunch of us just got back from Baja, where we did a fair amount of highway riding between singletrack days. We all have WR450's, and we used 15/50 gearing. My '06 WR450 comes with 14/50 gearing, so all I had to do was throw a bigger countershaft on it. It cruises at 70mph (115km) no problem, and the engine is at 7000rpm's at that speed. And with that gearing, the bike still loves the tight singletrack! Win-Win!!! Maniac

Is there really much difference in rpm between a 14 and 15 sprocket? How far were you cruising with your bike?

• MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:41 AM

Huge difference between 14 & 15 tooth countershaft sprockets! One tooth up front is approximately the same as 3 teeth on the back. We had a couple of 200 mile days, but on average probably around 80 to 100 miles normally per day. And one night, we had to slab the highway for quite awhile, as the chase buggy developed some issues that needed repair in La Paz. So we slabbed the highway for 30, maybe 40 miles would be my guess. And when we did get in the tight singletrack, I still never used 1st gear, as I prefer the pull I get in 2nd more. So with a proper running WR, 15/50 works pretty damn well. Maniac

• Stealth13

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:25 AM

I asked the local shop and he said stock for my 06 is 14/50 gearing. If I put the 15 up front will the bike be okay for 70mph cruising without revving high? Also will it still have power to power wheelie in 3rd?

• MANIAC998

Posted December 15, 2011 - 05:19 PM

15 tooth up front at 70mph gets you 7000rpms, as I had already said. As for the 3rd gear power wheelies, I can't answer that for you. Under perfect traction, it might. I had 6.6 gallons of fuel on mine, and was riding in Baja in the sand, so no power wheelies, just wheel spin. But the engine will pull it just fine. Those WR's have incredible power when jetted & un-corked properly. Is your bike going to be used strictly for the street, or some dirt too? These answers will tell you exactly what you need to do for your bike. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamRZ350

Posted December 16, 2011 - 04:56 AM

Set up with a 17 in. wheel, my 05 will show 6800 rpm at 70 mph. 15/44 gearing. It won't usually power up the front wheel in 3rd. Average around 75 mi. before it hits reserve.

• Stealth13

Posted December 16, 2011 - 07:08 AM

I'll be using it mostly every week on the trails, but also lots to
Drive around to friends houses and maybe do a few shorter hour each way kind of trips with it.

Is it hard On this engine to cruise at like 8000 rpm in 5th? I'd like to get the gearing down somewhat for lower end power as well. Maybe even just do a 15 front and stock 50 rear?

• Stealth13

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Can someone please chime in? I'd like to order the proper parts over winter

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I had a Baja designs DS kit and ran the stock gearing. Reducing the RPMS at higher speeds would have been nice. The ONLY reason to ride my 06 wr450 on the road would be to do some slab time in Baja. You are going to run a DOT tire for legal reasons I assume. I found that they sucked on the trails I ride on. I have removed all unnecessary street related components. My wr450 is now just a dirtbike again. That's what it's meant to be. You are gonna go through tires often if you like traction on the trails. It won't save anything with the mpg's and tires. I suggest two sets of rims. I got a used zuma scooter(cheaper than a second set of wr wheels) to get my wr off the roads around town.

• Stealth13

Posted December 19, 2011 - 01:35 PM

I'm running the stock tires on it still since it only has 700km on it. I've seen people getting quite a bit of life out of the knobbies on road. Then again I road my xt225 3000km this summer not wearing down the knobbies too much

• Charles De Mar

Posted December 19, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I'm running the stock tires on it still since it only has 700km on it. I've seen people getting quite a bit of life out of the knobbies on road. Then again I road my xt225 3000km this summer not wearing down the knobbies too much

an xt225 will not smoke a tire like a 450 can and with a grin on your face, you will too.:bonk:

• ncampion

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Ever consider a trials tire on the rear like a Pirelli MT 43? They have incredible traction in the dirt (with 8 - 10lbs of air) are DOT legal for the street and get great mileage. The dual sport people are all starting to use them.
Who knows, maybe if you put trials tires on you WR you could do this: :bonk:

• miweber929

Posted December 20, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Can someone please chime in? I'd like to order the proper parts over winter

What question that hasn't already been answered are you looking for an answer on?

15/50 is a pretty good compromise gearing that still allows a walking pace.

8000 RPMS for an extended period of time is a bit high, but change your oil often with synthetic and you should be ok for "shorter" bursts of that rpm.

If you are easy on the bike on road and run slightly higher tire pressures, knobbies will be ok, but don't expect long life. Especially in the rear.

The WR is not a great highway bike and unless you gear it very low (16/44 or so) will still be a 60-65 mph to speed for an extended time kind of ride. It was designed first and formost as a dirt bike. There are about 1000 threads dealing with topic this so search a bit an any question you still have should be answered.

Mike

• Stealth13

Posted December 20, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the input guys, what other tires last a long time? I'll take a look at that pereli

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.