Dunlop mx31 front tire

29 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted December 13, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Had the tire on two YZ450's and both of them lost a large number of side knobs making the riding dangerous. They are now off and will never be back. Don't use this tire!

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2011 - 06:40 PM

I wasn't impressed with that one, either. It's a soft terrain tire according to its marketing, and looks like one by its design. It does work pretty well in true soft soil, but oddly rather poorly in sand. It does not seem the least bit adaptable to anything rocky or at all harder than a soft medium, either.

• geshields

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:07 PM

I use the MX31 on my 450 here in TX on all types of tracks. It has held up very well. It has worked great in sand, intermediate soil and OK on hard pack/blue groove tracks.

I had the MX51 on my bike before the 31 and prefer the 31's traction and handling charasterics over the 51's.

• SparksXR426

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have to admit that was one of my favourite fronts on my 08, especially this time of year. Very planted and gives good feedback in soft dirt, really doesnt like rocks or loose sand though and loses the side knobs quickly in those conditions so I know what you guys mean. Still looking for the magic tire that works everywhere.

• YamaLink

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:48 AM

My 210 pound buddy had the same experience. About 13 psi. He's kind of a basher through the rocks. Tire gone in 80 miles due to side knob issue.

Other riding bud is 150 pounds and got 200 miles from his in a weekend off-road race. Mostly mud.

• tech24

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Same problem here. I studded it last winter for the frozen ground in AM and the mud by afternoon. It actually worked great for this but went out on rocky trail 1 day and knobs were gone in an hour.

• geshields

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:10 AM

I am wondering if the chunking issue has anything to do with the colder temps? Tire doesn't flex as much when the temps get low....

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:29 AM

The chunking is just a matter of the tire not being suited for rocky terrain. It's billed as a soft soil tire, and that's what it is, soft DRY sand not included.

• Gunner354

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have never experienced knobs ripping off like the mx31 did in all the years of riding no matter what tire I had on. The 31 is junk.

• Gunner354

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I talked to Jeff at Nuetec today and he said he knows people running this combo and they rave about these tires. Anyone have any experience? Apparantly they run 3 psi front and 7 rear. Jeff also stated that there is a test rider in Vegas that gets 3 days from a standard tire and now he gets 15.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 14, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Don't forget that Dunlop tires are very inconsistent, and have a 'shelf life': they out-gas very quickly and become brittle. It happens on all the Dunlop tires if they get really cold or really hot. My side knobs break off in sand, but not in rocky terrain.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2011 - 10:21 PM

I haven't seen the D908 before, but it looks interesting. I have run 739's though, and I don't like them. They're tough, no doubt of that, but they're heavy, and they don't really have such great traction on anything from medium hard on down.

I've had excellent service from the MX51 rear in the SoCal desert (sand, gravel, rocks, silt, and hard pack). Great traction, very good durability, and excellent wear. My current favorite front is the D952. It's sturdy and wears very well, and works very well in the wide range of soils the desert throws at me.

• Gunner354

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Gray, please call Jeff at Nuetec(tubliss) tire owner to get the scoop. I would like to hear your opinion on these tires.
Have you ever ran Michelin ms3 tires? Nothing but good reviews.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Never used any of the Michelins.

I looked up the D908, which I hadn't previously heard about (It's listed separately from off road tires on the Dunlop site) and as I said, it looks like it's worth a try. Listening to anyone else's opinion of the 739 series isn't going to change mine, so I don't see the point. I tried them, and I don't like them. But of course as usual with tires, not everyone will agree.

Another one that might be worth trying is the MX71, which is the hard surface replacement tire for the D739. It should hold up well on rocky ground, and based on my experience with the MX51, it may also wear well, but that's speculative. The knob depth on the rear is shorter than the 51, which you would expect when comparing an intermediate tire like the 51 to a hard surface tire, so the 71 probably trades off some bit in softer ground for stability on harder stuff. Same thing to a lesser degree with the front.

• Justin Pearson

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:21 AM

I have been running the 51's front and rear for a while both desert (90/100-21) and MX (80/100-21) and loved them. I switched my YZ250 (MX bike) to the 31 and LOVED it! It was a noticeable improvement over the 80/100-21 on the track. Some of the guys here in Vegas say the 31 actually works very well in single track so I was going to swap my YZ250 '31 front onto my YZ450 (desert bike) to try it out. I only got 2 MX practice days on the '31/YZ250 combo before I broke my back so I cant say much about the service life of the '31. Havnt been back on a track since (plan too just not in a hurry, not until im 100% again anyways)...

• off_road_4_me

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:25 AM

my friend has a pair of mx31's on his crf250r
he says they are like magic, but the rear is starting to chuck knobs

one tire I can not stand is the d952
the more aggresive I ride the more its short comings (on the front) is realized. it feels like the front is trying to slide out from underneath me

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:27 AM

One of the things I noticed about the 31 front was that the edges of the knobs rounded off quickly, much like the old 756's used to, so that they feel really good (on the right surface) when new, but don't stay that way very long. It was a good tire on a watered track composed of typical high desert sand/DG type soil without much organic content, but even there, it just didn't stay sharp in the long run.

• JPD855

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Never used any of the Michelins.

I looked up the D908, which I hadn't previously heard about (It's listed separately from off road tires on the Dunlop site) and as I said, it looks like it's worth a try. Listening to anyone else's opinion of the 739 series isn't going to change mine, so I don't see the point. I tried them, and I don't like them. But of course as usual with tires, not everyone will agree.

Another one that might be worth trying is the MX71, which is the hard surface replacement tire for the D739. It should hold up well on rocky ground, and based on my experience with the MX51, it may also wear well, but that's speculative. The knob depth on the rear is shorter than the 51, which you would expect when comparing an intermediate tire like the 51 to a hard surface tire, so the 71 probably trades off some bit in softer ground for stability on harder stuff. Same thing to a lesser degree with the front.

Do you remember what pressure you ran the 739AT rear at when you tried it?

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2011 - 09:51 AM

It depends on where and how I ride, but I run between 11 and 14 pounds most often.

• Gunner354

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:06 AM

It depends on where and how I ride, but I run between 11 and 14 pounds most often.

Maybe you need to run the 739at at 6-7 psi? Sounds like the guys raving about the 908 739at combo ride in similar conditions that you do. At least call Jeff at Nuetec and listen to what he has to say. Your opinion is really valuable.
Just wondering why you haven't tried any Michelins also?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.