Break-In, what to do?

3 replies to this topic
  • Psycho426

Posted July 25, 2001 - 11:25 PM

I am getting my bike(01' YZ426F) tomorrow :)
How long should I break my bike in and how should I ride it during break-in (half throttle, quarter throttle)?

Is there anything in specific I should check before I start the break-in process?

Is there anything I should listen for or check after the break-in process ?

• tawood385

Posted July 26, 2001 - 04:14 AM

I just bought a new '01 yz426 a couple of weeks ago to replace my '98 yz250. The manual is very complete as far as what to do for break-in, and break-in maintanence.
Here's a little info in addition to the manual: Some people on this board told me to lube my swing arm and steering head bearings, but when I pulled mine they were full of grease. Now, others with '01's have said theirs were full too, so I guess Yamaha has fixed that problem. One thing I did find was that my air filter wasn't oiled, so you may want to check that first (it would only take you 5 minutes tops). My engine oil was a little low right from the dealer too.
When you do get ready to do the break-in maintanence, don't skip anything in the manual. For example, my valves were right at the edge of spec. I also found a tear in my frame oil strainer, so I'm glad I bought the $30 24mm impact socket just to check it (my dealer is buying me a new strainer). I was happy I changed my fork oil too, it was rather cloudy/silver.

'01 YZ426
'00 Harley Police Special(Got it for free, and I get paid to ride it!)

[This message has been edited by tawood385 (edited 07-26-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 26, 2001 - 06:02 AM

Just like tawood said, follow the manual and you'll be OK. The breakin for this bike is unusually short (the riding time, not the maintenance :) ). Also in case you haven't been reading on here, don't go nutts when the first oil change gives you an oil filter full of metal flakes. This seems to be normal.

tawood, how much time did you have on your bike when you changed the fork oil? That's next on my list...

• tawood385

Posted July 27, 2001 - 08:24 AM

Since I was already waiting for that new part to come in (the torn frame oil screen), I just did it with the rest of the break-in stuff. I had about 2 hours on the bike, rode only on my back yard track (don't be too envious, it's about the size of your standard pee wee track, jump size and all).

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.