Calling xr 600 horsepower experts

63 replies to this topic
  • XL100allnightlong

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Okay, I have a 2002 xr 400 right now and I am really happy with it. But everyone wants more power!!!:bonk: I am looking to buy a xr 600 for the extra horsepower and torque "not a 650r". I was wondering what type of horsepower they make stock and what they make uncorked?????
Are they as reliable as a xr 400?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Go Big Red

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

This is just a guess, but I am betting you could get at least 50 at the rear wheel with the right mods. Air intake, cam, high comp piston, exhaust and a little luck. Maybe it could be more, but who the heck ever puts a dirt bike on a dyno unless they can get it for free.

Then again, i could be completely talking out my behind.

• LincolnTWilliams

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

i think stock they are 35ish... the 400 is 30-31 ish.... I relaly liked my 400 with a 440 kit on it and a flat slide carb (mikuni rs42?? cant remeber) My father in-law now owns that bike and I have a stock 600.... The 440 definately feels more lively.

50 sounds great but I think it is a bit high. Hell maybe ya can get 50 out of them but I'd say low 40's for reliability reasons.

• XL100allnightlong

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

35 horsepower stock seems a little low considering the 400 is around 30. With the extra 200cc's you would think it would be at least 10 horsepower more than the 400 stock!!!!!!!!!!! I heard the 600 is around 38 stock????
Is the 600 really restricted or what?????? I know the 650's are restricted but they still make 45 horsepower stock.

With simple math the xr 200 makes around 15hp. at 200cc's more to make a 400 and it makes around 30hp "cc's double and the horsepower doubles!!!! You would think the 600 would make at least 40hp stock????? Is the 600 that much of a dog?????

Edited by XL100allnightlong, 12 December 2011 - 04:29 PM.
adding

• Go Big Red

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

There are a lot of variables in there besides a simple adding or multiplying CCs to get horsepower. What the XR does have is torque, the ability to rotate the engine around it's axis. Torque, especially in some riding applications, is far more desired than just raw horsepower.

The big thumper is an old but reliable design. It was never meant to run down a drag strip in under 10 seconds. But what does do is give the rider a solid and well balanced mill that will run forever. Think of it as a draft horse and not a cheetah. So, if you thinks it's a dog, then yes. It's a big 280 pound Rottweiler.

• streeta

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

yeah the 600 will give a little more top end power but as far as pick up and go power, the 400 with a few mods and being a lighter bike will be just as fast if not faster off the line, probably because of the weight

Iam a big fan of the xr 600 but just recently purchased a 2000 xr 650r and honestly it creams the older 600, the 650 will wheel stand every gear and is way faster and lets face it... even looks more modern and up with the later model times....:bonk:

• HeadTrauma

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

35 horsepower stock seems a little low considering the 400 is around 30. With the extra 200cc's you would think it would be at least 10 horsepower more than the 400 stock!!!!!!!!!!! I heard the 600 is around 38 stock????
Is the 600 really restricted or what?????? I know the 650's are restricted but they still make 45 horsepower stock.

With simple math the xr 200 makes around 15hp. at 200cc's more to make a 400 and it makes around 30hp "cc's double and the horsepower doubles!!!! You would think the 600 would make at least 40hp stock????? Is the 600 that much of a dog?????

The 35hp figure is at the back wheel, not the crank.

XR600s don't rev to 9000+rpm and do make peak torque at a much lower RPM than any of the smaller engines you mentioned, which is why simple multiplication based on displacement doesn't produce realistic power numbers. It also does not consider torque, which the 600 has in spades over the smaller RFVCs.

• XL100allnightlong

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

My 400 makes great torque so yeah I imagine the 600 is a torque monster. I am sure I would love a 600. I am surprized to here that a 400 will hang right next to a 600 though. I can tell you that a 400 will smoke a 200. So I would figure that a 600 would beat a 400 relativily easy.

I aint saying anything bad about the 600 and I actually prefer torque over hp, I think a bike with torque feels faster. I love honda's and I know these xr's are almost bullet proof. I just eventually want a upgrade in torque and horsepower from my 400. Maybe if I am going to spend some money I should get the ultimate monster as in the 650r!!!!! I know they make monster torque like the 600 and can make 50+ horsepower with some mods. If the 600 could make 40 horsepower with minimum mods I would most likely be happy with that upgrade though:busted:

XR'S are the best trail bikes ever!

• _mrp_

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

You will not be dissapointed, my 600 had bad exhaust valves, and low oil to the top end, and it hauled some serious balls.

When I get it finished Ill be getting it dyno'd with 4mm overbore 10.6:1, megacycle cam and rockers, prox rod all new everything and valve job, with the cut down fmf 10" long :bonk: no airbox just a filter, im sure it will have some serious horsepower behind it! Hoping I can afford to get a pumper carb on the beast too!

• valvesrule

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

[quote name='XL100allnightlong']If the 600 could make 40 horsepower with minimum mods I would most likely be happy with that upgrade though/QUOTE]
40 to 45 is easy. It takes progressively more work to get 45-50 and extensive work for 50 plus.

• HeadTrauma

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

Worry less about power numbers and more about how a bike feels to you. You will notice the 600's extra weight. I went from a 219lb CR250 to what I have now. :bonk:

• Coopz The XR Man

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

I have much the same dilemma!

Buy a 400 or just go the whole hog and get a 600. im settling on a 600 after riding both!

• LincolnTWilliams

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

The 600 is heavy, but while riding it doesn't seem all that big. I rode 60 miles on it a few days after getting it over truck trail and single track and it felt great. However my old xr400 was on the same trail ride and I had to help the rider get up some steep hills he had stalled on (as in i had to ride it up them)and it felt considerably lighter.

The 600 weighs around 280-290 and the 400 is around 270... Thats the difference of a 180lb rider and a 200lb rider.. I'm the 200lb rider and I just dont really notice that much a of a difference between power of the two bikes.... 5ht gear pinned on a straight I'm sure the 600 will blow the side panels off a 400 though.

• jaysons

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

I am 147 lbs. & 5'7 ish & I got a '91 XR 600R that I bought at the beginning of summer 2010. I have since freshened up the top end to stop it from smokin like a 2-stroke. bored only 1 mm over stock, new cam/timing chain,valves,valve seals,rings & a wiesco piston.

Even before the engine work, when compression was low, it is a lot of power & even more torque than I ever imagined.

But after getting to know the bike, & learning it's attitude,some, I can now ride it a full weekend without wiping out somewhere due to it being too big for me.

I used to think that maybe I want to lower it or maybe even get something a bit smaller, but have decided that I absolutely love it & to switch to something smaller would just be to disappointing, power wise.

So I have learned how to handle it in a suitable manner, & can ride it up any hill, or wheelie it through any puddle, confidently.

The key is exactly the same thing that you keep hearing from pro riders. You gotta stay relaxed or the arm pump will cause you wipe out eventually. To a certain degree, you just gotta go with the flow of the bike.
Most times the only way to make the bike go where you want & do what you want it to, is to twist the throttle. But you gotta learn how much & for how long to keep it twisted. This all depends on rider weight, bike mods, amount of traction, available power & how well you know the bike.

I am still learning the attitude of my bike. About every 2nd or 3rd time out on it, it shows me a side of it's character that I haven't seen yet.

Just mt 2 cents...

Jayson

• Leardriver

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

The XR 400 makes 27 HP stock, and 29 uncorked.

The 600 makes 33/35. With a higher compression piston and a hot cam or comparable cam, it peeks it's head over 40.

It isn't the HP that makes it fun to ride, it's the torque. There is a lot of grunt available at low RPM's that makes riding easy.

A two stroke 125 makes more HP in average race trim, barely, than a stock XR600. Which one has the most rideable powerband?

The OP asked about reliability. The smaller the displacement, the more reliability, usually. Less mass moving up and down, and less twisting of crankshafts, etc. However, the XR 600 has earned a pretty well deserved rep for longevity, so I wouldn't let the bigger size steer you away if that's the bike you want.

Edited by Leardriver, 16 December 2011 - 09:07 AM.

• jaysons

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

^^^ WHAT HE SAID^^^

Its like driving race cars or 2 stroke bikes when you were a kid & then trying to learn how to drive a diesel rig. You eventually get further, faster once you learn how to use the torque in the lower end & stay out of the high end RPM's.

The XR 600 works just like a diesel, in comparison to any other average bike.

• HeadTrauma

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

The smaller the displacement, the more reliability, usually. Less mass moving up and down, and less twisting of crankshafts, etc. However, the XR 600 has earned a pretty well deserved rep for longevity, so I wouldn't let the bigger size steer you away if that's the bike you want.

I find my anecdotal observations to indicate the opposite, actually. Small engines typically spend more of their lives at higher revs, so the reciprocating assembly wears out faster. They also generally spend more time at peak output, which has the same effect. Power density is also a big factor and it has an inverse relationship with longevity. An XR600 and XR400 are probably going to be about equal here because the engines have similar designs and similar hp/L. However, the 600 has more "liters," so it can produce more actual output without compromising engine life.

• XL100allnightlong

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

So I am getting the feeling that some of you believe that the stock 600 doesn't really excelerate faster than the 400 due to it's weight. I keep hearing that it will have a better top end in 5 gear though? I imagine that the 600 feels torquer but I am surprised that some of you think that the 400 and 600 are pretty even on a straight line race!

• jaysons

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

So I am getting the feeling that some of you believe that the stock 600 doesn't really excelerate faster than the 400 due to it's weight. I keep hearing that it will have a better top end in 5 gear though? I imagine that the 600 feels torquer but I am surprised that some of you think that the 400 and 600 are pretty even on a straight line race!

this would also depend on all the obvious.... such as gearing, rider weight & rider ability & confidence.

As well; a 400 that has been trail ridden all weekend & is heavily caked with mud could weigh as much or more than a freshly washed 600. Enough packed on mud can weigh in at up 100 lbs. Many people tend to over look the weight mud can add.

Edited by jaysons, 15 December 2011 - 09:07 AM.
add comment

• valvesrule

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

I find my anecdotal observations to indicate the opposite, actually. Small engines typically spend more of their lives at higher revs, so the reciprocating assembly wears out faster. They also generally spend more time at peak output, which has the same effect. Power density is also a big factor and it has an inverse relationship with longevity. An XR600 and XR400 are probably going to be about equal here because the engines have similar designs and similar hp/L. However, the 600 has more "liters," so it can produce more actual output without compromising engine life.

Exactly. Any anyone thinking a 400 matches a 600 needs their ass dyno recalibrated. I've ridden both extensively. I like 400s but they feel weak compared to a 600. A 400 is about 2/3 of a 600...literally, even discounting the minimal weight advantage. 400 may be the perfect play bike but the 600 has the torque and horsepower advantage. A heavily modded 400/440 is still only getting what a mildly modded 600 can make. Really can't see a 400 getting past 40-42 rwhp unless it gets a turbo or more. That's just getting started with a 600 where 50 is fairly easy and 60+ just costs a lot more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L owner here. by chrisross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 15 replies
Forums
Photo

hi from the Netherlands by okay73

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

1987 XR600R kickstart troubles by MeRock

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

• Hot  114 replies
Forums
Photo

Complete Guide To Installing FCR MX on a XR600 by jtf1307tie

• Hot  244 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.