Ohlins vs. Showa A kit

22 replies to this topic
  • gkallday

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Anyone here have an opinion on the showa A kit vs. the Ohlins stuff.

• motoXr_22

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

I would go ohlins, not saying showa isn't any good but thats IMO the showa A kit is just alot of anodized this DLC coated that special showa fork fluid, spring cones, oil lock collars I think it is over priced

• RUDY100

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

I would go ohlins, not saying showa isn't any good but thats IMO the showa A kit is just alot of anodized this DLC coated that special showa fork fluid, spring cones, oil lock collars I think it is over priced

That would be a B kit, The A kit is a 49mm fork body with larger cartridges. :bonk:

• gkallday

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

yes we've used some b kit parts,and I understand the A kit being larger diameter(there are also more than one version of A-kit stuff) and being more expensive.However,expense aside.I'm trying to find some opinions on which works better.Been thru some of the revalvers...and don't get me wrong,some are very good,but just trying to find what might be the most competitive stuff on a national level...maybe the shim stackers are the way to go.Spending more money isn't always better.Again,...opinions?

• harrperf

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

That would be a B kit, The A kit is a 49mm fork body with larger cartridges. :bonk:

In your opinion, what technological advantages does A kit offer that OE suspension does or can not?

At least the ohlins set up uses a different approach to get its results...if it's better or not is mostly subjective IMHO.

• gkallday

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

AS far as I know,the A kit stuff is larger diameter.Tubes/valves,and is supposed to be made to closer torerances.As far as the technology...I have no idea....thats why I've asked.If there's a rider out there who may have used both..whats your opinion in a comparison.

• Chokey

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

The real difference? A few thousand dollars. Both can be excellent when set up right and horrible when set up wrong. But the Showa A kit is far more expensive and probably won't work any better.

• RUDY100

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

In your opinion, what technological advantages does A kit offer that OE suspension does or can not?

At least the ohlins set up uses a different approach to get its results...if it's better or not is mostly subjective IMHO.

None really, OE suspension is good stuff when set up right, Factory Connection builds excellent performing OE suspension for top AMA pro riders. Enzo is well known for building great OE suspension.

• Aaron_Silidker

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Having ridden true A kit plus suspension, I can say without a doubt, it is unreal.

That's my only input.

• GDI70

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

which ever is set up correctly for your riding style. but honestly, i'd rather beat 'em both with good sound stock valving schemes. anyway, the a-kits are what i've worked with, and i can say this: for the money, just get a good tuner with the stock stuff, and do something good with the money you've saved.

• harrperf

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Having ridden true A kit plus suspension, I can say without a doubt, it is unreal.

That's my only input.

I have yet to feel the same way...about any A kit bike I've ridden.

As far as what's inside, the reason I asked above is because I feel OE components can be modified to do whatever you want...that A kit can do. NOW - that said, if you are in the need of the added tube rigidity, and many times added lug rigidity, then sure - the A kit has some plusses there.

But from a valving/damping design technology standpoint - it's all the same shit.

Like I said - whether it's better or not - at least the ohlins is different!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

I have yet to feel the same way...about any A kit bike I've ridden.

As far as what's inside, the reason I asked above is because I feel OE components can be modified to do whatever you want...that A kit can do. NOW - that said, if you are in the need of the added tube rigidity, and many times added lug rigidity, then sure - the A kit has some plusses there.

But from a valving/damping design technology standpoint - it's all the same shit.

Like I said - whether it's better or not - at least the ohlins is different!

Not to be a Jackass...but so was the Cannondale... :bonk:

• stuart nelson

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

I have owned 5 sets of A kits from procircuit and 1 kit of ohlins. both need to be valved and revalved to suit you. I have decided that I am staying with stock suspension and do my own tuning with springs and oil.Avoiding revalve, current suspension is far better than past and the stuff is no longer better. the extra cost are not worth it. everything has trade offs. A kits are heavier and rigid,better for some obstacles and worse for others. Ohlins kit stuff do not have enough mx tuners only they are good for offroad though,neither are worth the cost ,better off revalving until you find someone who nails it.

• gkallday

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Stuart.Thats what I was looking for..honest criticysm.I have a son riding nationals and he has missed qualifying by 1-2 seconds.We had a support ride from one of the big suspension names but it just wasn't working,only to find out at near year end that a mistake had been made and the whole suspension was set up for a +40 novice.I'm not on here to throw stones,I know mistakes happen,but instead of trying to make that mess work(it was ok at local races that weren't very rough),and spending thousands on traveling/time off work/more knee surgery I don't want to make the same mistake this year.Thanks again,I 'm trying to learn as much as I can to help ourselves.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Stuart Nelson is missing the boat thinking that not revalving the OEM stacks can yield a worthwhile benefit.

You need to spend some time with the clickers over the obstacles that are the worst for you. When you get that as close to what you want as you can, at that point the location of the clickers will show you which way you need to go with the stacks.

If its getting better and better by going stiffer on the clicker and then suddenly it just sucks...well that tells you that you want or need more low speed in the stack. Then just add some low. Go back out and try it...

This is what the Factories (Factory Connection, ProCircuit etc) spend hours and hours and hours doing with its riders.

The OE parts can be made to work really really well. And if youre trying to run at a National level, you need at least three sets of suspension for the bike to rotate around.

The stuff is relatively easy to work on. For the cost of a Shop setting you up once, you can buy all the friggin tools to do it yourself including charging the nitrogen in the shock. Then it just boils down to test time.

• slugman978

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have a true A Kit that a satellite Honda rider gave up. I currently have an 2008 Crf450. Love the suspension as a whole after I got it revalved. Obviously I am not as fast as the factory rider that it came from, hence the revalve. Shock was awesome just the way it was when I got it from him. Forks were waaaaay too stiff. The shock just soaks up everything under the sun. I am now selling the suspension due to getting a new bike that it will not fit. If anyone is interested, pm me. Suspension was revalved by RG3 New Jersey. Only serious offers.

• gkallday

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Yes,I have invested in the tools/nitrogen/spring sets/shims,etc.But I just don't want to have to 're-invent the wheel' if you know what I mean.Thats why the original question.I listen to all that anyone has to say on the subject and sometimes it gets overwhelming because so many people tell me conflicting fixes.I understand that I will have to learn it on my own,however I would like to atleast start with the best product...again,not that OE isn't good,but if theres better then thats what I will start with.(the forks were so harsh at Red Bud that the top triple clamp broke at the bar mounts in the breaker bumps)...obviously not the right setup.So,I'm reading all I can find on here and will try harder.

• gkallday

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

...jeez,three sets of suspension.Man,at this point I'd give my left nut for just ONE that worked.Hell,we sleep on the floor of the trailer and sell seats in the truck for gas money just to get to nationals.No complaints,just living with this disease they call motocross.He'll get as far as we can afford,and maybe get some help.

• Spocko

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yes,I have invested in the tools/nitrogen/spring sets/shims,etc.But I just don't want to have to 're-invent the wheel' if you know what I mean.Thats why the original question.I listen to all that anyone has to say on the subject and sometimes it gets overwhelming because so many people tell me conflicting fixes.I understand that I will have to learn it on my own,however I would like to atleast start with the best product...again,not that OE isn't good,but if theres better then thats what I will start with.(the forks were so harsh at Red Bud that the top triple clamp broke at the bar mounts in the breaker bumps)...obviously not the right setup.So,I'm reading all I can find on here and will try harder.

I'm interested to see a fork set-up that can break bar mounts or a triple clamp...

• Shawn_Mc

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

...jeez,three sets of suspension.Man,at this point I'd give my left nut for just ONE that worked.Hell,we sleep on the floor of the trailer and sell seats in the truck for gas money just to get to nationals.No complaints,just living with this disease they call motocross.He'll get as far as we can afford,and maybe get some help.

You my friend need to get a tire deal from somebody and start testing suspension...its tough to test on worn out tires.

Its all about your notes. What clicker was where and what was the result. That will tell you about the revalve.

Food for thought...When Gavin Graycik came out of no-where...he was on OEM stuff. He quickly got handed A kit stuff and more help...but at first it was on his show room boingers. (revalved)

Related Content

Reviews

Ohlins ttx cartridges by bobbyfoxx

Suspension Fork Cartridge Kits Ohlins ttx cartridges, Brand Ohlins
  • 1 review
  • Last review by bobbyfoxx
  • On 09 April 2014
Forums
Photo

offset vs shimsing by lappenator

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

Gold valves and shims by Dan Paull

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Suspension set up 400S for a heavy rider by jpreel915

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  41 replies
Wiki
The little things can mean BIG improvements! - last post by Stillwell Performance

The little things can mean BIG improvements!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.