new to yzf 450.... please help!!

22 replies to this topic
  • reidy

Posted December 10, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi Guys, bought a second hand 2011 yzf450 today, have never had yamaha before so know nothin bout them, also previous owner didnt have manual for bike. my questions are=

does this bike not have a choke?

Can anyone explain procedure for doing oil and filter change?

Thank you in advance.

• RiderX

Posted December 10, 2011 - 11:36 AM

There's no choke, because it's fuel injected.

Download your manual here:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• RiderX

Posted December 10, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Your bike doesn't have a choke because it's fuel injected (it's not needed).

Download your manual here:
http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au

• reidy

Posted December 10, 2011 - 01:19 PM

thank you for that, that clarifys the choke question, and will download manual.
Will hopefully try bike out tmorow, its my 1st yam comin from 350 ktm.
will have to post some pics of bike as its gareth swannapoles nations bike.

• HRC

Posted December 10, 2011 - 01:55 PM

does this bike not have choke.

Bike do have a coldstart nob on the rightside between tank and radiator. The same nob you reach for when setting idle-speed.

• RiderX

Posted December 10, 2011 - 06:21 PM

thank you for that, that clarifys the choke question, and will download manual.
Will hopefully try bike out tmorow, its my 1st yam comin from 350 ktm.
will have to post some pics of bike as its gareth swannapoles nations bike.

What makes you want to switch from the KTM 350?

• reidy

Posted December 10, 2011 - 10:28 PM

ktm was giving me grief with fuel injection system, everytime i went riding i had to clean either injector or inline fuel filter.
had a look on that website for manual but couldnt c where to download it, am prob jus being really dumb!!

• RiderX

Posted December 10, 2011 - 10:49 PM

ktm was giving me grief with fuel injection system, everytime i went riding i had to clean either injector or inline fuel filter.
had a look on that website for manual but couldnt c where to download it, am prob jus being really dumb!!

Go here:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

and towards the bottom of the thread you'll see links to the owners manuals. The one ending in .au should have it.

• reidy

Posted December 10, 2011 - 11:50 PM

Found it, thank you, but appears they only go up to 2009.
is the 450 the same in 2010 and 2011?

• HRC

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:08 AM

What makes you want to switch from the KTM 350?

I think he did a great move ! Clever guy ! :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Found it, thank you, but appears they only go up to 2009.
is the 450 the same in 2010 and 2011?

You clicked on the wrong one.

http://www.yamahaown...dex.php?BRSR=30

• reidy

Posted December 11, 2011 - 08:51 AM

thanks guys for th help.
hrc i looked today at right hand side for th cold start but couldnt see it, will it maybe have been removed?

• daragon

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:47 PM

If you are sitting on the bike its on the left side its a small black knob. just pull it out towards you. I use it when i start the bike the first start. Its basically a choke but its not called one. For the oil changes there are two bolts you need to drain oil from. The first bolt is under the bike the second bolt is on the right side the bolts are both 12mm.the oil filter is behind the 2 8mm bolts on the right side.

• reidy

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:27 PM

ah cheers that makes sense now, i had been looking for it on right side.
i did think that mght be a choke/cold start but it doesnt want to pull or push, i wonder if its hardly ever been used. bike seems to start fine from cold, yesterday was bout 4 degrees and it started fine from cold fairly good.
thanks for that

• HRC

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:57 AM

ah cheers that makes sense now, i had been looking for it on right side.
i did think that mght be a choke/cold start but it doesnt want to pull or push, i wonder if its hardly ever been used. bike seems to start fine from cold, yesterday was bout 4 degrees and it started fine from cold fairly good.
thanks for that

Sorry....my bad. Did mean the leftside

• glenn77

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:32 AM

That cold start knob is also your idle adjustment knob.If you look at it closely you'll see the arrows on it.Great choice in bikes.

• YamaLink

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:05 AM

I smiled when reading your question about the choke. I did the same thing on both the YZF when new and the 2012 KX a year later. The sound of my little nephew making fun of me with "geez, this one is FI, too, crazy uncle" makes me laugh. Now it's a standing joke when we start up to go riding.

"Choke is OFF. Let's go!"

• reidy

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:45 AM

thanks for the help here guys, very much appreciated.
looked at bike again today and this idle adj knob does not want to pull or pull, dont think iam going to panic too much as bike is starting very well when cold!
Any ideas to how a could maybe tell how much this bike has done, previous owner says only 5 meetings, you can never be sure of that eh?

• glenn77

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:14 PM

If you have access to the GYTR power tuner it will tell you how many hours are on the bike if thats what you're looking for. Thats strange about the cold start/ idle knob, it should pop out when you pull it. I find I need to use mine when the bike is hot as well if I stall it.

• reidy

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:30 PM

It would be nice to know for sure what hours are on bike for piece of mind, no dont have access to tuner,is it only th gytr that gives you the hours? can you buy them ££?
will maybe try pulling little harder on idle adjustment, maybe its seized, i had a crf450 few yrs ago and if hot start sat not being used for a while it would seize, it was a sort of plunger type thing, i suppose this cold start will be different.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.