Throttle stuck on 07 WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • Idaho Shooter

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:31 PM

My sons wr carb slide stuck in about 1/3 open position. I took the top of the carb off and did'nt see anything odd. I could'nt move the slide it was like it was jammed in place so I took a small screwdriver and barely pryed between the front of the slide and the carb wall and it came loose. I worked the throttle a few times and it felt fine. If anyone has any answers for me on this problem that would be great.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:25 AM

My sons wr carb slide stuck in about 1/3 open position. I took the top of the carb off and did'nt see anything odd. I could'nt move the slide it was like it was jammed in place so I took a small screwdriver and barely pryed between the front of the slide and the carb wall and it came loose. I worked the throttle a few times and it felt fine. If anyone has any answers for me on this problem that would be great.

You need to replace the throttle slide plate and throttle slide seal.

• Idaho Shooter

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Thanks thats the only help anyone has come up with.

• Idaho Shooter

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:43 AM

I went onto Motorsports OEM parts list and I'm not sure which plate your talking about. If you could come up with a Yamaha part number that would be awesome. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Had you by any chance quirted carb cleaner into the carb anytime before it hung open on him? If yes, then the o-ring between the slide plate and the slide body probably swelled up pushing and jamming the whole mechanism against the track it runs up and down on. Just as an FYI, and in case you didn't know, never squirt carb cleaner on rubber parts - it makes them swell to a couple of times their normal size. A little heat, and time, brings them back to their normal size, but in the mean time you will have fitment issues.

You have eliminated a possible cable issue, right? Frayed or just worn out......?

It might help to list any work that was done on the bike prior to the hung throttle. That might help us help you with suggestions.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:16 AM

I went onto Motorsports OEM parts list and I'm not sure which plate your talking about. If you could come up with a Yamaha part number that would be awesome. Thanks

http://www.motosport...450F/CARBURETOR

PARTS # 10 & 11

• Idaho Shooter

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Nothing had been done prior to the problem. I put some Stable in the tank a few weeks prior but that is all. And no the cables were fine. I went as far as unhooking the cables from the carb first to make sure there was'nt any cable issues.

• yamahakid88

Posted December 09, 2011 - 04:50 PM

You don't have to buy a new cable like he said, just take some carb cleaner and clean the slide out very well, as well as luging the cable leading into the carb, before you put it back in the carb dip a cotton swab in some wd 40 and coat the side walls with it as well as the slide, make sure you are putting the slide in the right way also, if it's wrong it will not work properly, good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.