2010-12 engine reposition

116 replies to this topic
  • phiderman

Posted January 25, 2012 - 09:12 PM

i spoke to the owner of lightspeed today when i picked up my engine reposition collars and he had a lot of interesting stuff to say. # 1 was that he has been in contact with yamaha and they recently tested the collars on stock bikes with different riders with pretty good results. # 2 was that he has been working with the yamaha race teams for over a year and that they have been running the collars for quite a while. they are installed on my bike now to be tested saturday.

• luvnoldcars

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:23 AM

let us know how big a difference they make

• SEOINAGE

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:32 AM

I just put an extra link in my chain when i used a larger rear sprocket. Fixed my turning problems and wheelie problems on hills.

• phiderman

Posted January 28, 2012 - 08:03 PM

in my opinion they work. i kept my sag set at 100mm and didnt change anything else with the bike. i am running stock suspension with springs for my weight and a bridgestone m403 front tire. i rode today at elsinore mx and pretty quickly noticed that the front end didn't feel light and busy as before. i was able to push the bike more and my corner speed improved. the install took about an hour and was pretty east with basic hand tools.

• BBrown626

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:41 PM

in my opinion they work. i kept my sag set at 100mm and didnt change anything else with the bike. i am running stock suspension with springs for my weight and a bridgestone m403 front tire. i rode today at elsinore mx and pretty quickly noticed that the front end didn't feel light and busy as before. i was able to push the bike more and my corner speed improved. the install took about an hour and was pretty east with basic hand tools.

Can you describe the intall?

• DC_Excitement

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:04 AM

ok im in the market for a lowering link, (im a midget) does this collar kit lower the seat height? i see that i dont want to run both. thanks

• rickallen124

Posted January 29, 2012 - 08:14 PM

I don't believe it lowers the bike, just rotates the engine in the frame. If you're trying to lower the bike you either need to have someone shorten the shock with a plate or get a link.

• phiderman

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:05 PM

it moves the motor forward 2mm in the frame. you do have to file 1 mm away from 2 motor mounts. it isnt enough to do any damage, and can be reversed if you dont like the mod. i think somebody else might have posted that they weren't really meant to be used with any sort of lowering linkage or lowering shock plates. it comes with easy to follow instructions.

• briangriff321

Posted January 30, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Where can you get this?

• delmas

Posted January 30, 2012 - 07:31 AM

it moves the motor forward 2mm in the frame. you do have to file 1 mm away from 2 motor mounts. it isnt enough to do any damage, and can be reversed if you dont like the mod. i think somebody else might have posted that they weren't really meant to be used with any sort of lowering linkage or lowering shock plates. it comes with easy to follow instructions.

What is the location for the collars?

Edited by delmas, January 30, 2012 - 07:32 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxbrewski

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:44 PM

here is the website http://www.lightspee...tCode=581-00512

And I believe that the collars go into the engine case where the swingarm goes through.

• luckyguy19

Posted February 01, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Looks like Dr.D has a kit now too. There's more to this kit and it moves the motor 3mm.

https://twitter.com/#!/twmxdotcom/status/164790534332882944/photo/1

• BBrown626

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Looks like Dr.D has a kit now too. There's more to this kit and it moves the motor 3mm.

https://twitter.com/...2882944/photo/1

OK. I am going to order the Dubach kit. It looks like it is reversible and 3mm has to be better than 2mm.

• BBrown626

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:11 PM

My wife was going to swing through Dubach Racing to pick me up a kit today. She called ahead and they said their first production run sold very quickly. Had to place an order. Second run is due in in about a week. I was hoping to install this weekend. I guess next weekend or the following.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Maybe some of the guys who bought the first production run will chime in about how they work. Thankfully they came out with a straight up bolt on kit.

BBrown, when you get yours be sure to update all of us

• cablemonkey334

Posted February 06, 2012 - 06:59 PM

i have the dr.d kit coming in this week and will install it and test it with and without my pc link on the bike. i am riding a 2010 with ohlins ttx forks and shock so this should be really ez to feel the changes ,keepin my fingers crossed.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 07, 2012 - 05:32 AM

RIght on. I just ordered the Lightspeed kit. I didn't want to spend the extra 50 bucks on the DR.D kit. Hopefully mine will make it to me in the next week or so and I'll give a review on it as well.

• Wah_Bah

Posted February 07, 2012 - 08:52 AM

I got the lightspeed kit with enzo revalved suspension that included the lowering plate. Will at enzo said they can be ran together. I immediately noticed the difference in handling and its a major improvement. I previously had stock suspension and the PC link which worked well but I wanted a suspension revalve. I removed the PC link and went back to stock linkage, and added the motor mount kit. IMO the PC link cured the knifing in corners, but the engine reposition kit with enzo suspension is even bettter for turning. I am much happier now. The filing in the lower frame was miniimal do to hole to bolt size tolerance slop already built in. The engine bracket filing was also minimal after loosening all bolts and moving the bracket before tightening everythign down. Eyeball what you need to remove and keep removing until the bolts fit. With play in the brackets it may be less than you think. It wasnt as bad as it sounds. Pretty easy mod for big reward.

• BBrown626

Posted February 08, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Cant wait to try it. Considering either a pipe or tuner also. Anyone by Temecula/Murrieta have a tuner I can borrow?

• cadesdad

Posted February 18, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Any more ride reports on this? Also anyone know if Dr. D makes one for the 06-09s ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.