2010-12 engine reposition

116 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 18, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yes I have read the thread on Vital. A guy post's that he found something good for his bike, and every window licking, mouth breathing moron with nothing to do, posts that he is a idiot. Same usual drivel on the vital forums, at least some went to the guys defense. They were probably Thumpertalk members.

Sounds like normal Forum behavior to me.....:bonk:

• Kawirider37

Posted December 22, 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've only skimmed through this thread. So, I'm sorry if this question has already been asked. When I first started rideing my 2011 yz450f, people told me that the newly designed yz450f suffered from the same stink bug effect as the 2009 honda. So the same fixes were applied. Whether it was a a really soft sag (110-115), a lowering link or a spacer/lowering plate the concept was to put the wait even further to the rear. Doesn't it seem counter productive to now try and shift the weight forward? I'm gonna try out the collars just so I can see for myself how they feel. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• drtrcr400

Posted December 22, 2011 - 10:42 PM

At this point there has been no clarification on what other mods need to be done to accommodate these collars. Not even the people who claimed to have installed these have been able to answer that.

• rickallen124

Posted December 23, 2011 - 12:33 PM

My understanding is that the collars work with the stock linkage, no lowering plate in the shock, and sag set right around 100mm. The weight moved more to the rear of the bike on the 10 and Willie feels that the front needs more weight to get the tire to bite better. I'm tempted to try it.

• Kawirider37

Posted December 23, 2011 - 05:57 PM

I went ahead and placed an order yesterday. I'll do a few tests and get back to you guys with the results.

• galligar

Posted December 24, 2011 - 09:54 AM

I posted earlier in this thread that I put the stock link back on, moved the tubes back down(stock height), turns much better, still very stable, very easy to do. It's the best mod. for this bike besides remap with programmer&+1-2 teeth on the rear. THe end

• Kawirider37

Posted December 24, 2011 - 09:56 PM

I too have the stock link, and have always had the forks at stock height. Currently using the programmer. I still feel the front end is too light and tends to pogo/skip. after almost 50 hrs on the 2011 and my speed is almost back to par. If I could get the front to settle down and act a little more like my 2010 zook, I'd be there. I hope these collars do just that. If not, I'll just have to grip and rip a little more on the throttle....

• Stu2

Posted December 25, 2011 - 04:37 AM

I also find the front end is light and bounces, i thought it was my sag untill I set it to perfect, then I thought the stock fork springs were too stiff, but with my 103kg carcass its impossible,

The bike does favour the rear, so short of running a stupid steep rear sag, or softening the forks drastically this might be the silver bullet......

• Thumper38

Posted December 26, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I went ahead and placed an order yesterday. I'll do a few tests and get back to you guys with the results.

I really want to hear the results!

• luckyguy19

Posted December 26, 2011 - 08:08 PM

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on these. It finally all makes sense, you can transfer weight to the front of the bike without changing the head angle through fork height adjustment or lowering links.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawirider37

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:35 PM

I received the collars yesterday afternoon, and had them installed by mid evening. Sorry in advance for my limited review. I had planned to ride several tracks before I reported back, but I won't be doing any of that. In fact I have already removed them and put the stock collars back in. They do what they advertise, move the engine forward. It was apparent by how tight my chain was after the install. Anyway onto my ride report. I did feel like there was more weight on the front of the bike. However it didn't feel planted like an rmz. It felt more like how the bike did stock. I forgot to add, I have Enzo suspension which includes the shock shaft reducer. Maybe they don't work well together. Anyway. All the issues I had with the front wheel prior to running the Enzo suspension seem to resurface. Now this is only my opinion. You guys might have better luck with them than i did. Especially if you are not currently running a link or reducing the rear shock shaft. From what I heard the collars were intended to replace the lowering links, etc, not be used inconjunction with them.. Thats probably why they didn't workout. Well that's it. Sorry I couldn't give a better review.

On a side note. When did this bike ever favor more weight on the front wheel? After all the good reviews that came as a result of lowering the rear was it supposed to all of a sudden make sense to move the weight back to the front? Just a thought......

Edited by jophis37, December 28, 2011 - 07:22 PM.

• rickallen124

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, my understanding is that the collars don't work with a lowering link or a shock that has been shortened through a plate.

• galligar

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:11 AM

Your correct enzo & others shorten the rear shock , it lowers the rear like the links do. If you run the the offset motor mounts you need to pull the spacer out of the rear shock, or it will turn like stock. Offset mounts ,stock link,no shock spacer.

• luckyguy19

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'm glad I have the lowering link on then, that is easy to pull off and put the stock one back on.

Jophis37 any interest in selling them???

• luckyguy19

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:00 PM

This is all starting to not make sense now. When you put the lowering link on, you transfer weight to the back of the bike, as well as make the fork angle less steep. So where is the benefit coming from with the link? The weight transfer or the fork angle??? I'm thinking it is from fork angle. These collars do the opposite as far as weight transfer, they move weight forward.

Collars; Move weight forward
Benefit is more weight on the front wheel

Lowering Link; moves weight backwards, change the angle of the forks
Benefit is less steep fork angle makes the bike more stable, downside is taking weight off the front wheel may affect turning.

So it seems to me that the two would work well together. Use the link to reduce the fork angle, and use the collars to push some of the weight forward that link moved backwards.

I’m just thinking out loud here trying to rationalize what’s really happening.

• Kawirider37

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I already shipped the collars back. I spoke to Will at Enzo today regarding the collars and he said that some people absolutly love the collars and some are of the same opinion as me. Also people are running them with the Enzo lowering plate and still like them. I guess I'm just too picky. Or maybe they just don't work well with my style of riding. Well good luck to those that are still planning on using them. They do make a difference, whether it's good or bad will depend on your likes and dislikes. I wish they had worked out for me. Especially after I filed my motor mounts.

• rr558

Posted December 31, 2011 - 09:44 AM

I have the PC link as well. I actually liked the way it handled stock, I put the link on to help make it lower as I'm only 5'9'' at 190lbs. and this pig is a giant. lol I'll try the collars both ways I guess. I think I need some stiffer fork springs as well.

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Any news from the folks who tested this?

• tydock88

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I would be interested in hearing from other people who have tried it

• luvnoldcars

Posted January 17, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image
Ryan Morais reported that his transition to the 450 class is going well, and that he feels comfortable aboard the larger bike and the with the longer 20-lap main events. "It might have been tough if I didn't practice 20-lappers all winter long," joked Mo. "But everything is all new for me: a new class, a new bike, a new team and a new brand." Last week, Morais reported that his Yamaha YZ450F actually ran too cool at Anaheim 1, and that the radiators would be partially blocked off for Phoenix. And how about the largest single improvement made to the YZ450F? "When we rotated the engine 2mm forward in the chassis, that really made a difference in the way the bike cornered," said Morais. "The vague feeling that the front end had before was totally eliminated." Lightspeed and Dubach Racing offer kits to rotate the engine in the chassis.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.