2010-12 engine reposition

116 replies to this topic
  • luvnoldcars

Posted December 07, 2011 - 05:54 PM

any one used these or know someone who has. if so what is the effects and is there any other modification needed to the other engine mounts. http://www.lightspee...tCode=581-00512

• tech24

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:28 AM

I don't get it??? What would be the purpose...sure is a nice description on the website

• Gunner354

Posted December 08, 2011 - 09:21 AM

I don't get it??? What would be the purpose...sure is a nice description on the website

Can't remember where I read the article but they did this mod and let expert level riders ride the bike and all of them raved about how well the bike handled. They said that the stock bike did not feel planted on the front end in stock form. The engine is moved just slightly forward thus putting more weight on the front end making the bike perform much better.

• tech24

Posted December 08, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Can't remember where I read the article but they did this mod and let expert level riders ride the bike and all of them raved about how well the bike handled. They said that the stock bike did not feel planted on the front end in stock form. The engine is moved just slightly forward thus putting more weight on the front end making the bike perform much better.

interesting I suppose thats possible...I doubt I'd ever notice but I'm no pro

I wonder how the air duct and exhaust line up?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2011 - 10:19 AM

You're talking about 2mm, according to the listing. Probably not enough to misalign the exhaust, but I'm not hot on the idea of having to do too much "slotting" of the other hard points.

• Gunner354

Posted December 08, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Woud the Rekluse e-axle to put more front bias without using the engine offset mounts?

Edited by Gunner354, December 08, 2011 - 05:41 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Pardon me?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:59 PM

???????

• highmarker

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:27 PM

concentric front axle you can turn to move the center line, do they still make them?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Would the Rekluse e-axle put more front bias without using the engine offset mounts?

Yes, but moving the axle rearward also changes the trail, an important element of steering geometry that may have undesirable effects. Most commonly, this sort of thing is done by changing the triple clamp offset, but it's done to change the trail and the steering character, and not to shift the weight bias.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motojase316

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:21 AM

Like the sound of it...

• NE14MX

Posted December 09, 2011 - 05:23 AM

I know some riders rotated the engine downward toward the front to lower the center of gravity as well as change the balance of the earlier generation frame. It would seem to me that you could accomplish the same effect of these 2mm offset spacers by moving the rear wheel back 2mm.

• galligar

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:03 PM

This mod works, bike turns in better ,doesn't wheelie when hard on the gas ,plus the backend can be made to break loose like the other brands (sliding the rear into a corner) .Stock the 2010-2012 bike is too hooked up ,at least for me,I built my motor just so it would break loose when I needed it . I put the stock link back on ,moved the forks back down the bike kills. call the owner of lightspeed ,the guys a motor head ,and a very fast mx rider,tests yamaha stuff all the time (factory) very cool to talk to about bike set up. The mods. super easy to do works better, than clamps, rad. lowering,link,moving tubes up,etc. turns almost suz. like, but still rock solid in the rough.

• Thumper38

Posted December 11, 2011 - 06:19 AM

How much modification is involved? Does everything still fit up ok?

• galligar

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:20 AM

Replace motor mount spacers with offset lightspeed spacers, file 2mm ,bottom & front motor mounts, just loosen &rejust head stay ,put swingarm bolt back in. SO easy a honda rider could do it.

• cadesdad

Posted December 17, 2011 - 02:11 PM

Any idea if these will work with 06-09 yz 450fs ?

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2011 - 11:36 PM

I tend to doubt it, but you never know. The crankcase collars for those frames has a different PN than the '10-'12.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 18, 2011 - 12:22 AM

I know some riders rotated the engine downward toward the front to lower the center of gravity as well as change the balance of the earlier generation frame. It would seem to me that you could accomplish the same effect of these 2mm offset spacers by moving the rear wheel back 2mm.

That would change the geometry of the frame.

The goal with this mod is to relocate the center of mass, not change the geometry.

• grunkthump

Posted December 18, 2011 - 06:13 PM

There is a HUGE thread on this mod over on vital fyi....interesting stuff for sure!!

• mxbrewski

Posted December 18, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Yes I have read the thread on Vital. A guy post's that he found something good for his bike, and every window licking, mouth breathing moron with nothing to do, posts that he is a idiot. Same usual drivel on the vital forums, at least some went to the guys defense. They were probably Thumpertalk members.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.