2000 YZ426F - Clutch

4 replies to this topic
  • hondaman450x

Posted December 07, 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have a 2000 YZ426 that I picked up last year for $1600. I have noticed when trying to start out in 1st gear, the clutch enguages with a jerking feeling like it is grabbing, not slipping in gear. I don't think this bike has ever had the motor tore into. Time for a new clutch kit? Any suggestions as to what brand/type? My brother and I mainly trail ride with the exception of the track a few times a year.

• RiderX

Posted December 07, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Does it seem to get better when you ride it a while?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yamaha fixed that in '01. You can too:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=461631

• DeeCee

Posted December 08, 2011 - 03:08 AM

Chances are the clutch outer hub is grooved. Depending upon how bad it is, you could file the grooves out and ride for a bit longer without any new parts.

Depending upon how hard you are on the clutch, the grooves will reappear and the hub will have to be replaced eventually.

If you are not heavy on the clutch and do not snap on and off the throttle, filing the hub could last for a while.

Up to you.

• hondaman450x

Posted December 08, 2011 - 04:24 PM

The bike is actually the opposite. The clutch feels good when I first start riding it. After 10 minutes, the problems start.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.