2 replies to this topic
  • ricky1

Posted July 24, 2001 - 06:38 AM

Need advice on sealant
I had to modify my petcock to gain clearance from the header. I am still nervous about it being so close (1 in).

I need to seal the threaded parts of the petcock.(not the screws that fasten it to the tank). This is not a stock item. Is Permatex #1 Form a Gasket Sealant the best product to prevent gas from leaking?

I also would like to seal the petcock to the the tank. This would be aluminum to plastic. I assume this would require a different sealant, but I don't know what to use.

Finally, will brake parts cleaner damage the plastic tank? (When used to clean/prep for sealant)

Many thanks

Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 24, 2001 - 07:50 AM

I don't have a picture in my head of what you're doing, but if I understand you correctly then as far as I know the standard way to seal threads on pipes or tubes has been to use that white plastic tape on the threads (the name escapes me at the moment). You may want to check to see that this is resistant to gas before using it though.

If you use a sealer of any kind, be sure that you check the specs to be sure that it can be submersed in gasoline without deteriating.

• freshy

Posted July 24, 2001 - 07:59 AM

Loctite 515 is the answer.Flexible and impervious to gasoline such as your application.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.