WR 450 connecting rod bearing ?

3 replies to this topic
  • pwallnuts08

Posted December 07, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Guys, i posted previously about my wr 450 problem the chain fell off and cracked the case, it ran very low on oil and my trans seized. I've split the case and found that a collar on the drive axle melted to a gear and also chewed up the shaft. So i've ordered a new case and new bearings all the way around even though they all seemed unharmed (i guess the collar melts quicker than bearings, are they made that way to prevent anythign else from melting?) and the motor also ran perfectly when i had this problem. My question is should i have the crank rebuilt too, the connecting rod bearing? I understand this would have to be done by a shop to be trued?? Im wondering if the risk is greater to tamper with it at all.... what do u think? I dont think the motor had many hours before this problem.

• thumpharder

Posted December 07, 2011 - 08:51 AM

You know, a guy may get away with, I know I wouldn't, I'd put it together, go riding and just when I'm far enough out in the boonies it would fail on me. I would go ahead and do the crank, you have it apart, most of the work is done, peace of mind and only having it apart once is hard to argue with. You pay some now, or pull it apart a little later and pay more, in time, gaskets, and ??? who knows what a failed crank bearing might take out.

Edited by thumpharder, December 07, 2011 - 11:54 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sknight

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:32 AM

You know, a guy may get away with, I know I wouldn't, I'd put it together, go riding and just when I'm far enough out in the boonies it would fail on me. I would go ahead and do the crank, you have it apart, most of the work is done, peace of mind and only having it apart once is hard to argue with. You pay some now, or pull t apart a little later and pay more, in time, gaskets, and ??? who knows what a failed crank bearing might take out.

I'll second that. You'll be so far torn down that you probably won't have much more money tied up in it and no more time.

• pwallnuts08

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thanks guys, i really think the old one is fine but i just cant fathom not putting a new one in . Ordered it last night, wiseco crank kit $204 on ebay! sick deal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.