TIme for a new chain and sprockets

9 replies to this topic
  • Thepowderblue

Posted December 05, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Anyone know where I can find them cheap? Key word cheap.
I also need to know what is the stock sprocket size for my 02yz426, front and rear?

• RiderX

Posted December 05, 2011 - 03:51 PM

The Primary Drive stiff from Rocky Mountain is about as cheap as I've found them.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2011 - 04:00 PM

i also need to know what is the stock sprocket size for my 02yz426, front and rear?

14/49

• Thepowderblue

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:22 PM

I cant seem to find them in the store.

• pscook

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Front sprocket is used on plenty of other models, easy to find (click here for sunstar interchange). Rear sprocket is the same as mid-80's XR200, 250, 350, 500, and 600, pretty cheap on ebay for a steel rear sprocket (click here for sunstar interchange). For chains, you can either buy a cheap non-o-ring chain and replace it soon, or buy a decent chain and keep it for a while. Penny wise and pound foolish, your choice. I have had success with cheap chains, but you have to be prepared to maintain and replace them.
Here's an ebay rear sprocket- http://www.ebay.com/...ssories&vxp=mtr
Here's a cheap front sprocket- http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfba8ae26

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted December 07, 2011 - 09:40 AM

Like stated above it will be cheaper in the long run to get a good chain. I put a regina ORN6 on my bike 60+ hours ago and it only gets adjusted during tire changes. I like cheap steel sprockets though!

• pscook

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:36 AM

False economy! I couldn't remember that when posting originally. Buying a cheap chain means you need to buy another, soon. Case in point- I commute 40 miles per day, 10k per year. I bought a $60 o-ring no-name chain twice over 20k (each one was shot at ~9k, but I held out for another month to go a complete year). I then bought a DID (or some other name brand) basic o-ring for ~$100 25k ago. Cheap sprockets are doing better with the good chain than they did with the cheap chain, oddly enough. Lube and cleaning every time it sounds funny, so far so good. Haven't had to adjust it in about 5k, but I had to adjust the cheap chain every 400 miles.

• dgcars

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Cheap is always just that.....gearing is 14/49.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Cheap sprockets are doing better with the good chain than they did with the cheap chain, oddly enough.

There's nothing odd about that. If the chain doesn't wear internally, any sprocket will last far longer. A chain that "stretches" due to wear at the pins and bushings will chew up the best sprockets in no time. I started using Regina ORN6 chains 9 years ago, and haven't used anything else since. Their longevity is phenomenal.

• tech24

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:25 AM

There's nothing odd about that. If the chain doesn't wear internally, any sprocket will last far longer. A chain that "stretches" due to wear at the pins and bushings will chew up the best sprockets in no time. I started using Regina ORN6 chains 9 years ago, and haven't used anything else since. Their longevity is phenomenal.

9 years...thats only 3 chains :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.