2006 YZ450F - how to get this bike to corner?

51 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:17 PM

That all sounds OK, but if I had a lathe to work with, I'd make a new ring to replace it with.

• GHILL28

Posted March 02, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm just curious - have you springs had enough hours on them to "set"? I've read that the stock springs will set in a lot, and I'm thinking that preload might be there to account for that. I'm running a set of stockers that are fairly new - couple rides old before me then I put 2 rides on them.

• 2grimjim

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm just curious - have you springs had enough hours on them to "set"? I've read that the stock springs will set in a lot, and I'm thinking that preload might be there to account for that. I'm running a set of stockers that are fairly new - couple rides old before me then I put 2 rides on them.

Good quality springs shouldn't 'set'. If they are manufactured correctly, their properties will be fairly constant over their lifetime. 40 years ago, that wasn't necessarily the case. They will slowly change, but that is more dependant on stress cycles than age.

After digging through my notes, I ended up reducing the preload to 2mm (stock is 17mm), used a .5 kg/mm spring (weight on front wheel is 130 lbs w/half tank of fuel and I weigh 180 lbs w/no gear. Bike is 245 dry). This combo gave about 1 5/8 free sag and about 3 3/8. race sag.

• GHILL28

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:35 PM

That's 85mm of rider sag?? I'm 180 with no gear as well, running 0.47's, and I'm getting around 50mm of rider sag. Are you measuring standing straight up on the pegs? Are you riding motocross or offroad?

Well manufactured springs are "pre-set". A lot of OEM springs will set quickly in the first few hours.

• 2grimjim

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Sitting on the bike in a neutral position. I'm also checking with a half tank of fuel (3.1 gallon tank).

• 2grimjim

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:43 PM

The bike is set up for a 50 year old B rider. Mixed desert and alpine riding. Not an easy set up to figure out but it works for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Good quality springs shouldn't 'set'.

KYB springs generally don't. One of many reasons they're worth the money.

• 2grimjim

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:45 PM

That's 85mm of rider sag?? I'm 180 with no gear as well, running 0.47's, and I'm getting around 50mm of rider sag. Are you measuring standing straight up on the pegs? Are you riding motocross or offroad?

Well manufactured springs are "pre-set". A lot of OEM springs will set quickly in the first few hours.

Is this with the stock preload or the reduced preload?

• GHILL28

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Stock preload. I haven't cut the cartridges yet. Seeing if I can just source shorter springs first and use spacers between the seat and the collar.

• 2grimjim

Posted March 02, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Stock preload. I haven't cut the cartridges yet. Seeing if I can just source shorter springs first and use spacers between the seat and the collar.

Race Tech will shorten springs any ammount you want for $50.

• GHILL28

Posted March 02, 2012 - 04:54 PM

That's my price for a new set of springs basically.

What rear springrate are you running on that bike for proper sag? Thinking I may need to bump up a rate or two once it's not all bound up to get the sag right if you're really at a .50kg and my weight.

• ss55539

Posted August 23, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Subbed for later reading. My 07 is giving me fits

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.