1998 YZ400 F Flywheel swap

6 replies to this topic
  • ktmheinzee

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have a 1998 YZ400 F that I just pasted down to my son. The bike is in great shape but he has truble keeping it running in the slower tight stuff because the flywheel is so light. I was going to add weights, but you cant find them anymore, so does anyone know if a WR 400 flywheel from the same year or 1999/2000 will fit/work.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Yes, it will work, but you'll need the WR stator to go with it, and you'll need to modify the stator to work with the YZ ignition:

http://www.thumperta...52#post10674552

• RasmusDK

Posted December 03, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi see this http://www.steahlyof...eel-weight.html

Its the only ones i can find, I had the same thoughts. But i guess with a weight like this you gotta get it SPOT ON or re-balance the flywheel... so yea the wr wheel probably is the way to go..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baxterj787

Posted December 03, 2011 - 06:18 PM

At risk of being shot... Check Ebay. Do a search for yz400 flywheel. Most of the results you get will be the original flywheel. Every so often, you will see (pictures) a FW with 4 bolts on the outer flange of the FW, at 12 oclock, 3, 6, and 9. Bingo. You just found a FW with a $200 weight already attached.

I bought one for my YZ426 this way. I think I paid $70 for it (flywheel with weight installed). The YZ400 and the YZ426 use interchangeable flywheels. The WR series, as Gray mentioned, need both the flywheel AND stator, plus additional work.

• ktmheinzee

Posted December 04, 2011 - 09:12 AM

So will I need to ground the pink wire if i'm not going to run any lights.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2011 - 02:50 PM

So will I need to ground the pink wire if i'm not going to run any lights.

No, you'll need to do the pink wire mod as described in order for the bike to run at all with the WR stator.

• ktmheinzee

Posted December 04, 2011 - 05:28 PM

No, you'll need to do the pink wire mod as described in order for the bike to run at all with the WR stator.

Thanks for the help

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.